PDA

View Full Version : Console Detail

kevinmcpoland
02-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Hi there,

I am working on a spaceship/command room interior, and am struggling to get the consoles (ithink thats the right word!) looking good.

Does anyone know of/have any reference sites/tutorials for adding detail to space ship consoles? I have tried google and the various WIP's forums, but can't really find much to help...

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

WizCraker
02-02-2004, 09:10 AM
Can you show an image to show us where you are having problems.

kevinmcpoland
02-02-2004, 09:16 AM
..Yup, will post in a couple of hours if your still around, just got to make my way home.

Thanks for replying so quick by the way!

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

kevinmcpoland
02-02-2004, 12:59 PM
These are shadow free to make sure all current detail is visible...

I guess I'm just not sure if I simply need colour or what?

Here's one thought...Can I attach an image to a poly, like a decal (ala Hash: Animation Master)? With this, you just bring in an image and 'stick' it wherever you like.

Anyway, first of three...

kevinmcpoland
02-02-2004, 01:00 PM
Second...

kevinmcpoland
02-02-2004, 01:04 PM
Last...thanks for any hints and tips...

By the way, if this should be in WIP's could someone either move it for me or tell me how to do it myself. I wasn't originally going to put images in, but they may help to explain the sort of resources/tutorials I'm after.

Thanks People,

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

WizCraker
02-02-2004, 01:22 PM
Applying an image map is the way to go. Just select the polys in modeler that you want to map and assign a name to them, you can us UV if you want. Go to your paint program of choice make your maps and then apply them in Layout.

WizCraker
02-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Also for the Nurnies on the consol look good.

kevinmcpoland
02-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Thanks WizCraker. I don't suppose you know of any sites showing close ups of consoles for inspiration...? (I have tried looking but can't seem to find many ):(

Kevin McPoland
[email protected]

WizCraker
02-02-2004, 01:50 PM
Star Trek Movies and TV shows.

WCameron
02-02-2004, 05:55 PM
yeah pretty much for stuff like nurnies and decals your best bet is old movies, tv shows and myabe comic books.
Second to that maybe hit the local library and check out books on airplanes, maybe boats, etc. Might also be able to grab a few of the Star Trek Tech Manuals.
Maybe books / sites on nuclear power plants and stuff like that too.

- Will.

cresshead
02-02-2004, 06:38 PM
maybe go rent some babylon 5, dan dare and roughneck dvd/videos for some inspiration on the consoles..also enterprise on t.v currently.

Mikeface
02-03-2004, 06:59 PM
There are some great space-related tutorials at

http://www.ap3d.com/betterspace/

Their imagemap tutorials should be useful for your purpose...

jevinstudios
02-04-2004, 11:42 AM
My recommendations: Babylon 5 & Farscape DVD's. Can create all the detail in a paint program or illustrator, then map on the image with alphas for glowing, irradiance, etc. Will work like a charm.....

WCameron
02-04-2004, 12:42 PM
somebody should start a console / nurnie image database. heh

- Will.