PDA

View Full Version : Surface thickness whine!

luka
02-01-2004, 08:30 PM
Please help someone!
I am doing some R&D on producing realistic red wine and surface properties associated with it.

I am using the surface thickness gradient to try and simulate the same effect that occurs in the real world. When I render my scene only the top of the wine renders properly anything below the surface is totally transperent? To prove the problem I rendered just the wine object byitself which renders correctly but when I render the galss & wine together the result is less that desirable. I have checked that my models have an inside and outside I have also tried with one sided objects and checked the double sided button. also I have tried using ray recursion settings from 6 to 25 but still the same problem.

Now has anyone else come into this problem or is this some kind of bug?

luka
02-01-2004, 08:31 PM
sorry here is the pic of the renders

dblanky
02-02-2004, 01:26 AM
the only thing i can think of is that the wine is reflecting the glass, but then the top bit of the wine isn't, try taking off the reflection on the wine. i dont have lightwave here to test it out but ill have a look later.

Matt
02-02-2004, 01:33 AM
I've had problems with surfaces using the thickness gradient just disappearing, but that was over screamernet, it was fine when rendering locally.

After I re-scanned my plugins it was fine, doesn't look like the same problem you're having here.

I'd try dblanky's idea and take the reflection (if any) off the wine (the sides at least)

luka
02-02-2004, 02:32 AM
I have just tried taking the reflection off, but it still renders weirdly. the only way it renders correctly is when I disable the surface thickness gradient.:( But that's not really helpfull. What to do?

There must be some problem with the way the gradient bounces rays when behind an object?

Dodgy
02-02-2004, 03:37 AM
Have you got any camera-facing polygons 'behind' the wine?

Just built one myself and it seems to work fine...

Jaffro
02-02-2004, 06:08 AM
Yes, it looks very much as if the problem is in polygon normals. Its as if the only red wine poly's are on the surface and not going around the glass. How is the glass setup? Glass poly, and flipped air poly? If so have you made sure that the flipped air poly's are changed to red wine surface?

luka
02-02-2004, 12:27 PM
I have checked that all polygon normals are facing correctly, I also did a model with single sided polygons and checked double sided in the surface editor, it still renders incorrectly. I have emailed Newtek tech support to see if they have seen this before?

luka
02-02-2004, 01:15 PM
There is something weird going on with this forum as I have just typed a message but it hasn't shown up?

>edited<