PDA

View Full Version : UV texturing - I need help

fabmedia
03-11-2003, 05:11 PM
Could someone be kind enough to explain how to UV a simple block of wood. I can't get the texture to line up in the direction that i want. I've ripped apart a couple of models that I found but cannot figure out how they managed to get the textures to lie in the direction that they are in (diagonal). Not that I'm too worried about doing stuff in a diagonal.

Another question is how do I edit a texture UV without deleting it and starting over. For example naming a new part or polygon under an existing UV texture map.

I'm confused and miserable. I've been trying to get something to line up all day and nothing is working. I also have an arc that I have to map as well, and hell if I can figure out how I'm going to be able to do that....

Arlen

devisor
03-12-2003, 12:02 AM
Not sure if this apply to your problem, but take a look here. It might help you out.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=45660

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 12:52 AM
It actuall isn't the solution I'm looking for. I guess I wasn't specific enough. I have an arbor that I'm making, and I figured that I would try to UV map my way to success. I found out however, that it's not that simple. I have mainly straight boards that I'm dealing with, but where the problem comes into the equation is that I can't get the UV to align the way I need it to. I know I'm missing something, but I can't seem to rotate the texture or the UV to match the object.

When i create a UV for my object, I choose the Planar option and I give it the X,Y, or Z plane. BUT the texture is not lined up or rotated in the wrong direction. I'm stumped.

My brain is hurting....
Arlen

Fozz
03-12-2003, 03:47 AM
Unweld it (ctrl u) and then you can rotate and align the uv's as you want. Just open up the UV window in one of the viewports.

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 09:39 AM
When you say "unweld" (I'm not familiar with it I'm a newbie), do you mean to break up the individual polygons? Now, does this affect the mesh and if so, how do I avoid screwing things up?

I have attached an image that I have quickly rendered of the arbor. There are sunken screws and screw-holes (the reason for the UV). Initially the arbor had a curve but it became too difficult to try to figure out how to map the texture to the curve.

One more question though... Now if I have a number of similar items as noted in the images, how can I share the same UV and keep the pattern from repeating or misaligning? Should I use atlas and use unwrap or what? I just don't know how to best go about this...

thanks,
Arlen

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 10:42 AM
I forgot to ask, but can you help point out how I should approach handling the UV's either planer, or atlas and what I should breakup...

Thanks,
A

colkai
03-12-2003, 01:19 PM
Couldn't have come at a more timely point this thread.
I am trying to create a guitar string, wound around the capstan - things are confusing me (not difficult :p )

I've created the object with UV's, in modeller, it looks surfaces about how I want it, but in Layout, it's all kablooey. :(

I've uploaded a scene if someone could take a look.
http://www.colkai.dsl.pipex.com/miscwork/UVWinding.zip

The object on the right has the correct mapping, but it fades out all over the place and I just don't know why. The ZIP includes all needed to show me how wrong I've done it! ;)

Ahh, UV's - I knew I'd have to get involved in 'em sooner or later.
If anyone can tell me how to do this better / properly, I'm all ears!

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 03:34 PM
Okay, so maybe I'm making some progress. I took a single leg of the arbor and UV mapped it (atlas). I layered an image on to it using the UV coordinates, then took it into LW. I used Unwrap2 and saved that image then did my magic. Isn't this the long way around? Or am I just going to have to bite the biscuit when it comes to detail?

So am I on the right track?

Arlen

fabmedia
03-12-2003, 05:12 PM
I don't know, but is this any better?

A

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 01:39 AM
Sorry for this but I just need some feedback. Again, I've been using Unwrap 2 and it's been a slow process. I'm sure that there is a lot more I can do with the textures (how I'm going to get dirt between the connecting boards I don't know), so any and all help is appreciated.

Arlen

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 01:40 AM
another...

fabmedia
03-13-2003, 01:40 AM
last one...

mkiii
04-28-2004, 05:25 PM
Well you seem to be managing ok from what I can see.

I'm not so sure atlas mapping is such a great idea unless you are baking textures or only going to use a 3d paint app. if you are hand applying bitmaps over your UV, you'd probably find it easier to arrange the uv map yourself to take more adavantage of the space.

Oh & forgive me if I'm teaching egg sucking, but you do know that a uv mapped object when copied, also copies its uv map - so you need only map one leg, and one or two sleepers (for variety), & use copies / arrays of them rather than mapping each one?

[edit] dammit. I just notice how old this post is - i forgot I was doing a search for something other than the latest messages.