PDA

View Full Version : Delete Unused Accounts

SamuraiSlayer
02-01-2004, 01:34 PM
i kno that most people dont lie awake at night thinking about this but i think it would be nice if the unused accounts here would be deleted so the people that actually use their accounts could pick a good name without adding a number to the end of it...

i'd say about half of the accounts here in the forums have 0 posts and were registered before October. These accounts should be deleted, as the people arent participating in the forums. When i registered, i wanted a certain name but it was already registered, (august 2003) and had 0 posts

It's probably none of my business but im just sayin...

:)

Aegis
02-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Try coming up with a user name on Yahoo groups - everything I could think of had gone - even SkyTracer so I settled for SkyTracer2 :D

SamuraiSlayer
02-01-2004, 02:44 PM
lol :)

i'd bet a million dollars that nobody could ever get "007" in any forum unless its new

art
02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
I was EXTREMELY surprised when I succesfully registered my name (Art) which my actual nickname. I did not expect it to be free, especially since is has certain connotations with what is being discussed on the forum.

I like the way ICQ (and some others too) resolved the issue by issuing unique numbers for identification purposes and then letting users choose/change their nicknames.

... and I agree, unused accounts should be removed. This goes for all the services, including yahoo, hotmail etc.

I don't care about what happens to aol. They might as well get so many accounts that their servers explode. I could not resist.. I just dislike aol .... very much... but that is my personal view :)

SamuraiSlayer
02-01-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by art
...I don't care about what happens to aol. They might as well get so many accounts that their servers explode. I could not resist.. I just dislike aol .... very much... but that is my personal view :)

yea, my personal view too :)

MSN Messenger is a bit like ICQ -- You register a hotmail account (whatever isnt taken) and then on MSN Messenger you can change your Nickname by simply going to the control panel

i say if they dont use their account, delete it

meshmaster
02-02-2004, 09:34 AM
if they don't use their account, and you then sign up for their account, there's the problem of confusing you with them, which could be a problem if they were flamers, etc.

art
02-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Very good point.

Maybe a date when the user (re)registered or some other indication of the change could be shown on the forum.

Most often, a short explanation should be sufficient if the new user is confronted by the old user's foe.

SamuraiSlayer
02-02-2004, 01:31 PM
if im right it seems that when you register a new account (vbulletin), for example, if the name "John" was taken, not only that is unavailable but ".:John:." or "(-John-)" or anything else with special characters that have the letter sequence of J, O, H, and N are also unavailable. So If the account "John" was deleted you could register ".:John:." and then "John" would be unavailable. There's the thing with accounts that have been used in the past is you dont necessarily have to register the same name.

That was all probably pretty confusing