PDA

View Full Version : Nanobots!

Tom Wood
02-01-2004, 11:23 AM
Odd that two stories about nano would hit the WP at the same time.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A1487-2004Jan31.html

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A2431-2004Feb1.html

Think they're trying to warn us of something?

Anyway, I didn't care much for the story in PREY, but it'll make for a good showcase for some cool particle effects in the movie.

Does anyone know how old the Star Trek 2 episode is where Crusher accidently lets some nanobots loose on the ship? Is that the first mainstream nano story? EDIT: on TV or in movies?

I have my own treatment for a nano story, so I'm curious...

TW

Aegis
02-01-2004, 12:00 PM
Have you read "The Diamond Age" by Neal Stevenson (sp?) - that deals with nanotechnology (in a neo-Victorian society) in quite some depth - the flow of the story isn't great but it's got some fabulous ideas. I also recommend "Snow Crash" by the same author - a great spin on Gibson's CyberSpace...

Tom Wood
02-01-2004, 12:07 PM
I loved SNOWCRASH and NEUROMANCER (Stephenson/Gibson) but never finished DIAMOND AGE. I'll give it another try. Stephenson's fascination with cryptology(?) just doesn't interest -me- but I sorta kinda understand why it's important.

Thanks!

TW

stijn
02-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Cryptonimocon is very cool too, but it looks even harder at cryptography..., It did'nt interest me either at first, but now it does. :)
Interesting article, I was not aware that Nano is being taken so seriously. Cool!

I've no idea what the first appearance of nanotech in mainstream fiction on tv was, but I'd say that it's still occult enough that you can do practically anything with it in fiction :D
Good luck,
Stijn.

stijn
02-02-2004, 03:06 AM
Cryptonimocon is very cool too, but it looks even harder at cryptography..., It did'nt interest me either at first, but now it does. :)
Interesting article, I was not aware that Nano is being taken so seriously. Cool!

I've no idea what the first appearance of nanotech in mainstream fiction on tv was, but I'd say that it's still occult enough that you can do practically anything with it in fiction :D
Good luck,
Stijn.

DigiLusionist
02-05-2004, 07:44 PM
There are activists organizing to stop this science?

Don't these yahoos have anything better to do with their lives?

Nanotech has been struggling to progress for the past twenty years. It will result in the next leap in technology. Good things, not just bad will result from its progress.

I hate when hand-wringers try to dictate things for the rest of us...

stijn
02-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Well, there were Luddites way back when the automatic Loom was invented... ;)
There's people protesting against bio-and-gentechnology, and Nano will be so much bigger than even SF-style Biotech...
:D
And think of the potential to make weapons with Nanotech.. Although I'm all for Nano, I doubt that humanity is ready for that amount of power.

Cheers,
Stijn.