PDA

View Full Version : severe system crash

gdebever
01-31-2004, 10:33 PM
I just received my VT 3 back from my reputable turnkey rep., safe harbor computers. Due to some unresolvable problems at least for my technical capabilities, I sent the system in to get repaired and do some up grades while I was at it.

My system: Dual Zeon 2.8 CPU, Supermicro mb, 2 gigs ram, internal scsi raid, 1 terabite external raid, upgraded display card to Matrox P750, upgraded OS to windows xp pro from win 2K pro.

Safe Harbor told me they did all the tests and machine is running great.

I open the box start it up and the machine doesn't take to the display drivers. We go through a bunch of techy pain to figure it out and eventually have them send me a new card.

I install the card and things seem faily stable at first but within a couple of days/shows, I have my same old problems. I get "no signal detected potential driver lockup" in the VT vision displays. If I don't shut things down it would eventually crash and cause a "sever error occured" message on the desktop.

Recently i was working fine on the system doing a project on VT edit. To prep for the show, I exited all the windows, ( I was on desktop 2 edting) and came back to desktop 1 for the live event. Suddenly (unlike any time previeous) video signals locked up. I reboot and things are back running. Then it locks again and the classic " driver confict" words pop up. I reboot and the system makes it to the desktop but cannot get signals on Vt3.

I reboot again and the sytems is up and running but then completely crashes and automatically reboots. That occurs again but only the second time the computer never makes it to the desktop. The third time the system locks mid way through the boot. No fourth time - it's broken.

What is the deal? bad hard drive? bad card? Oh yes and VT 3 needed a new registration key every time I would boot up in the most recent days. Any clues on that? I was told it may be a bad card.

Thanks,
Gordo

Jim Capillo
02-01-2004, 02:57 AM
Have you uninstalled/reinstalled the software lately?

SBowie
02-01-2004, 07:42 AM
You do have the nVidia Desktop Mgr. disabled, right?

gdebever
02-01-2004, 05:00 PM
I only hat VT 3 for two weeks so no I didn't reinstall software. Also I have a Matrox card not nVidia card.

gordo

Paul Lara
02-03-2004, 05:53 AM
Any time your system has been transported, it's an ounce of prevention to pop the cover of the computer, and make sure all cards are seated properly. When you're having difficulties with a card (as you seem to be with your VT[3] card) then take the additional step of removing the card and putting it back in (with power off and computer unplugged, of course).

gdebever
02-03-2004, 09:05 PM
Thank you all for the reply.