PDA

View Full Version : Dropped frames with DV capture....

kleima
01-31-2004, 08:39 PM
I am having problems with what looks like dropped or frozen frames on clips captured in DV over firewire. Vegas captures are just fine on a much less endowed machine. But, on the VT[3], I seem to get little stutters in the recorded clip. You do not see it while capturing. I have "stop when frames drop" checked, but it just keeps on capturing.
My machine specs are not the problem:

Dual Xeon 2.8
2 GB RAM
SCSI 160 RAID (4 drives)
SCSI 360 RAID (3 drives)

ScorpioProd
01-31-2004, 09:23 PM
And this is doing a DV transfer, correct? So the capture panel says "DV stream capture ready" or something like that, right?

Cause something that will definately cause stutters, even on a good machine like yours (and mine) is if you are capturing Program Out instead of Main In. If you do that it is not a transfer, but a true capture, meaning the video comes in via firewire, is uncompressed, and then is recompressed with the DV codec. Most machines can't do this and this is not something you should want to do anyway.

You want to be capturing Main In, with your DV source selected, so that it is a true transfer and not a capture.

kleima
01-31-2004, 09:47 PM
Good thought, and nice to know, but I just checked, and it is set on Main In.

ScorpioProd
02-01-2004, 12:56 AM
And it is saying something like "DV compressed stream capture" or something like that before you start the capture, right? And if you go to the codecs they all say "unavailable", right?

I just want to make sure it's doing a true transfer.

kleima
02-01-2004, 08:06 PM
Correct.

ScorpioProd
02-02-2004, 12:16 AM
What DV deck are you using?

I would say try a different firewire cable, to be sure that's not the problem.

And what chipset does your firewire card use? I had a lot of problems with one that was based on the VIA chipset. Once I changed to a firewire card with the TI chipset, my problems went away.

Also, do you have DirectX 9.0b installed?

kleima
02-02-2004, 03:31 PM
The Firewire cable is the same cable I use for transfer with Vegas. No stutters with Vegas captures on a MUCH slower machine.
I am using a camera, not a deck. (Sony PD-X10).
I don't know what chipset for the firewire card? Where do I find that?
Direct X 8.1

Jim_C
02-02-2004, 04:01 PM
If you are using T3 you MUST have Direct x 9.0b installed.
Available as a windows update download.

Could very possibly be your problems..

ScorpioProd
02-02-2004, 10:17 PM
Yes, without question upgrade your DirectX before doing anything else. That solved a lot of VT[3] DV problems.

kozmo22
02-15-2004, 03:28 PM
I don't mean to be different than people, but I actually had more problems capturing digital video via firewire when VT[3] was set to 'main in'. I had much better luck with it when I set it to 'program out', plus I was then able to use the proc amp to adjust the picture.

Maybe someone has some experience they can offer to me: when I capture DV video, it's always too bright. Most times all I have to do is literally just turn the brightness down and the video falls nicely within acceptable NTSC range. Does anyone know why this could be the case?

Sean Zicari

kleima
02-15-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, it's very complicated, but basically analog and digital video (with some exceptions - of course, or it wouldn't be complicated), have a different pedestal setting (IRE). In your preferences you will find a setting for 0 IRE or 7.5 IRE. Choose the one that makes your video look right. (This is output pedestal, but it does affect how your video looks on the monitor.)