PDA

View Full Version : Poser anim to LW Motion Mixer

Grace
01-31-2004, 07:47 PM
Hi!

I have a Poser eagle with an animated flapping wing cycle that I brought into LW using Pro Pack. I am a major amateur at animation so please forgive these two questions if the answer is blatantly obvious.
1. The only way I could see to 'capture' the flapping wing cycle (and any animation cycle for that matter) is to use Motion Mixer. So you create your actor, capture the cycle into a motion file and drop that motion file onto the Motion Mixer timeline (or stretch it) for as many frames as you need the motion repeated. Is there a better, easier way?
2. I tried the Motion Mixer tutorial in the HTML LW manual and got it to work fine. But then I brought in the 25 frame flapping wing cycle, created my actor, and it SEEMED to create the motion file, but when I repeatedly dropped the motion or stretched it on a longer timeline it just kept ending at 25 frames. I tried keyframing every single frame but that didn't help either.

Hope I explained this well. Could anyone please help?
Thanks!!

CROUTON213
02-02-2004, 04:03 PM
I use the Poser Pro Pack plug-in quite often and really love it. To the best of my knowledge, the actual animation is controlled entirely by Poser. Your Poser scene file is only being 'hosted' in Lightwave and therefore none of it's animation information is available in the different Lightwave tools such as Motion Mixxer.

The only way to squash or stretch the timing of your Poser animation is to do it in Poser (Animation Menu>Retime Animation) and then reload the scene in Lightwave.

If you just want to loop the animation, use the PzrForLW - PoserDisplacement plug-in interface and then, under the Scene Options tab select "Loop" under "If frame is out of range".

Grace
02-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Great!! It's nice to see another Poser user! It tried your suggestion and it works REALLY well! I've have Pro Pack for a bazillion (well maybe just a couple) years and never even thought to go into the Displacement. I love Pro Pack too...I wrote a little script to scale my Poser figures up to real life scale but have yet to find an easy way to change all the textures from a blending mode of 'multiply' to 'normal'. How do you do it (sorry to bug you) and thanks for your help!!

CROUTON213
03-03-2004, 01:31 PM
I do not know of any LScripts that properly reconfigure the texture maps. But here is my approach to the situation...

When you import a Poser scene file into Lightwave, the plug in generates a folder with a Lightwave conversion of the models contained in the Poser scene (as you probably know). This is when the LScript you are talking about would be nice but instead a little work comes in. Often times the texture maps are only in the color channel and they are additive blending mode instead of normal blending mode. Change it to normal blending mode and then copy that current layer and try pasting it into the diffuse, specular, bump, etc., channels. In so doing you can really add some quality to the renders.

Once I have the texture setup on the Poser scene model the way I like it, I create a new folder called MasterModels and save current object as...

You can also activate subdivision surfaces on the models used by the Poser plug in...

So for example, after adjusting your eagle so that you like the texture, save him as Eagle_POLYGON.lwo. Then SAVE AS another one and call it Eagle_SUBDIVISION.lwo, and then take that model into modeler, select quadrangles and triangles and hit the tab key to activate subdivision surfaces. Then load it back into Lightwave and make certain that you set SUBDIVISION ORDER to LAST (In your OBJECT PROPERTIES panel under the GEOMETRY tab.

Now then, once you have your 'MasterModels', each new Poser scene of the eagle, such as Eagle_Flying.pz3, Eagle_Landing.pz3, Eagle_Whatever.pz3 can be loaded into Lightwave and then you select the generic Eagle model that it generates when you first import the Poser scene file and then you go ITEMS: REPLACE WITH OBJECT FILE and select either Eagle_POLYGON.lwo or Eagle_SUBDIVISION.lwo, whichever you desire based on the smoothness needed in the model. If the Eagle_SUBDIVISION looks like a big freaky mess, remember, set SUBDIVISION ORDER to LAST. Then save your Lightwave scene so that the next time you load it you're all set or if you want to do a network render it is nice because the Poser plug in works with Screamer Net.

I hope this helps. I continue to really appreciate Poser Pro Pack and Poser 5 because it has a community that is loaded with pre - rigged humanoids and characters and they are very good quality and very affordable.

prospector
03-03-2004, 02:18 PM
Have either of you checked out the Poser 2 LW plugins by Greenbriar?

It sets up the textures, sets up the animations from poser, conforms the clothes you set in poser to body all with only a couple of mouse clicks.
I just got it for Christmas and I really like it alot.
(no I don't work for him) (same one who made the new morph mixer for LW8).
It even sets all the morphs up corectly from Mimic.

Oh yea...ya might wanna try to save the animations in poser as a BVH file...LW will import them. That MAY work with the plugs you have.

Grace
03-04-2004, 09:25 AM
LAD3D - thanks for the helpful advice! I never thought to copy the textures to the different channels...great idea. I did activate the subdivision surfaces on a candle object because it was one of the few objects I bought that was a bit jagged and it worked wonderfully, but I wasn't aware of setting the SUBDIVISION order to last. I guess I was just fortunate that the object was simple enough that it rendered quite nicely.

I agree with you about Poser. My modelling skills are practically non-existant, but I love texturing and making stories. Poser has been a huge contributor to my model collection!

Prospector - thanks also for your advice! I do own the Greenbriar products (I LOVE plugins) and they work well, but I found that although some objects load very well, I have problems with loading props. It also seems to crash Modeler every time I use it. I'm not complaining though...it could just be me and my system. CR2 does a great job of importing the textures, but ProPack is a bit more stable for me.

prospector
03-04-2004, 09:13 PM
Hmmm..never crashed on mine..
Have you e-mailed David? He might have an update.

Grace
03-05-2004, 09:34 AM
Thanks...I think I will. So yours is pretty stable, huh? And if you save a scene with a prop in it and import it as a pz3 it works?

prospector
03-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Pz3???
No I use all the Cr2s

Grace
03-05-2004, 04:47 PM
Yep, PZ3! It says on the Greenbriar website... 'Directly Import Poser PZ3 / PZZ / CR2 / CRZ / PP2 / PPZ / HR2 / HRZ files into Lightwave' under the CR2 Loader link. So I thought it would work like ProPack which loads the PZ3 scene files. I had good success with the CR2 files though!

prospector
03-05-2004, 05:56 PM
No, I mean I know about the PZ3 files but only use the CR2s:)

wowens
03-05-2004, 06:39 PM
prospector -- I purchased the Greenbriar Poser plug-ins for LightWave and was very pleased with the results for still images. However, I did have a couple of problems with CR2 Rigger and weight maps. When using CR2 Loader to import characters do you select "Triangulate Mesh" and Create Weight Maps "Shaded"? Or, do you have a different configuration?

Any tips for using Animation Loader would also be appreciated. For example, what is the best type of Poser file to use for animation, .pz3, .bvh or?

Grace
03-05-2004, 08:00 PM
prospector...ooops...hehe..sorry

prospector
03-05-2004, 08:44 PM
When using CR2 Loader to import characters do you select "Triangulate Mesh" and Create Weight Maps "Shaded"? Or, do you have a different configuration?

I have no boxes checked off and (trying to remember here as I am not in that proggy right now) but I do know it's the last button on the weight line (far right) but don't remember the exact name.

Haven't really used PZ3 files yet so I use the BVH as LW imports them directly as a sort of native file. so they can be used in motion mixer and just about everywhere that motion files can be used.
Also the BVH files are saved from Mimic (another excellent side effect of Davids plug-ins) in BVH and it's much easier to get figures to talk right.

If you don't have Mimic (and I think a lite ver is coming in 8) then you should get it (even ver 1, which is what I have and it works great)

wowens
03-06-2004, 11:57 AM
prospector -- Thanks for the information! I'll try using the CR2 File Loader without "Triangulate Mesh" checked. It should reduce the size of the file. The only problem I had with this unchecked was a few non-planar polygons. In addition, the weight maps needed to be manipulated.

Are you using DAZ's "Millennium" figures in your LightWave animations? Do you have any samples of the work you created with the Greenbriar products?

By-the-way, DAZ Productions has just released Mimic 2 Pro for LightWave. I have Mimic 2 Pro and will probably purchase the LightWave version. I have not tried importing Mimic 2 Pro BVH files with the Animation Loader plug-in.

prospector
03-06-2004, 01:58 PM
Yea ya get those non-planer and weightmap thingys,
but the non-planers go away when ya hit Sub'D
I use a 1 or 2 at the most for the Sub'D setting.

Using Vickie 2 and Mike 2

I did show the Newsroom they will be broadcasting from on another thread. Will end up being a 2 hour documentary when completed, which I have to get out by Sept-Oct at the latest.
Has been 3 years in the making.

Setting up website and will put all on there (cept for Documentary as that will go to DVD), but I will have screen shots and some tuts on how everything was done and a surprise for all 3d users.

wowens
03-07-2004, 10:35 AM
prospector -- I'll have to try using Sub-Ds on my next project.

When using the Michael 2, how do you keep the genitalia from importing with the model? Michael 3's genitalia is a separate model so it isn't a problem.

Please provide a URL to your website when it's completed. I'm always looking for new techniques and methods to improve my own work.

prospector
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
When using the Michael 2, how do you keep the genitalia from importing with the model?

Ya can't:mad:

so ya have to use the bone.

drfoley
03-23-2004, 06:18 PM
Hey guys,

I'm new to DAZ's stuff but would like to try the Freak model. I'm ok with LW but dont know how all the morphs, maps, and other requirements needed for their models figure into it.

Do I need a special plugin for their models?

Are the models already rigged or do I have to do that myself?

Do I need anything else like Micheal or Victoria to use the Freak?

Thanks,
DrFoley

wowens
03-23-2004, 08:18 PM
DrFoley:

Go to the Greenbriar Studio 3D Tool site and read about the "CR2 Loader and Rigger " and the "Load Obj as Morph" plug-ins for LightWave 3D -- http://www.greenbriarstudio.com/3D/

These plug-ins import Poser models into LightWave fully rigged and with morphs. However, you'll probably need to manipulate the weight maps. After using the "CR2 Loader and Rigger" to import your Poser file, you can then use "Load Obj as Morph" to pose your model.

If you're interested in using animation created in Poser, read about their "Animation Loader" plug-in.

You should be able to use your "Freak" model without a problem. In fact, the Greenbriar site features a rendering of the Freak by Jon Sloan.

wowens
03-23-2004, 08:38 PM
Here's a rendering of the Freak in LightWave 3D using the Greenbriar plug-ins.

drfoley
03-24-2004, 02:40 PM
Sounds great!

But 2 important questions.

1) Can I alter the models to personalize them once there in Lightwave? Since these models are being sold to everyone I'd hate to have the same model everyone else has in my upcoming animation. If I personalize them will the morphs also update and change with the base model?

2) Do I have to have Poser to import their models into LW? I just want to buy the models/morphs and the Plugins from Greenbriar.
This will definitely be cheaper if I can do it this way.

Thanks,
DrFoley

wowens
03-24-2004, 05:49 PM
I don't have a definite answer on your first question. I'll try manipulating a model in Poser and then import that file into LightWave. I'll probably get to this sometime this weekend.

In the meantime, you can contact David Mathews directly at Greenbriar Studios -- [email protected] You can also go to their website and download the documentation.

As far as your second question -- yes. Since CR2 Loader is actually reading the PZ3, PZZ, CR2, CRZ, HRZ, PP2 or PPZ files, you'll need a copy of Poser to save your model in one of those formats. Within Lightwave, the CR2 Loader plug-in requires you to specify the location of your Poser application before importing the file.

I hope this has been helpful!

prospector
03-24-2004, 08:13 PM
I have all the plugins from Greenbriar, and NO you don't have to own Poser to use the plug-ins.

It dosen't ask where the poser .exe file is.
It asks where the CR2 files are, which people sell on Renderosity and places like that.

If you have the CR2 files, then that's all you need.

You DO need Poser to get the Poser People or figures that come within the program as it is illegal to get them any other way.

prospector
03-24-2004, 08:20 PM
OOPs, My Bad
It does ask where the Poser.exe file is
But I just leave it blank (which is why I forgot).
I just tested it to make sure of which I speak and it loads a CR2 file fine leaving it blank.

wowens
03-25-2004, 06:40 AM
prospector -- Can drfoley add the additional Freak head and body morphs he's requesting outside of Poser? I thought this would have to be done in Poser first to get the unique character he's trying to create?

drfoley -- Sorry, I didn't mean to supply the wrong information. I honestly thought the only way to add the additional morphs you requested was through Poser!

prospector -- Can you explain to both me and drfoley how to add these additional head and body Freak morphs in LightWave? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

drfoley
03-25-2004, 06:53 AM
Yes...its unclear in regards to being outside of Poser. If I modify the base model, inside Lightave, will the morph maps update to the new modification or will that just screw everything up?

Thanks

prospector
03-25-2004, 08:52 AM
I don't have the Freak model to see what you are trying to do.
But Poser morphs are made as an OBJ file and kept in the object folder in poser.
If you don't use poser then when you get a free model or buy an independantly made poser model, I always find the OBJ file is with the new object.

If the Freak model is based on a Poser figure included within Poser (like Mike) then the Morph (MAY) be just a dial setting, in which case you need the base figure and hense you'd need Poser.

prospector -- Can you explain to both me and drfoley how to add these additional head and body Freak morphs in LightWave?

When adding a morph of a Poser figure, I load the OBJ file into a BKG layer and do a BKG to Morph in LW, but like I said I don't have the Freak to see.

wowens
03-25-2004, 06:16 PM
I was curious why the CR2 Loader plug-in asked for the location of the Poser application. So, I e-mailed David Mathews, the developer of the plug-ins, to find out. Here's his reply:

"Poser files have partial paths in the cr2 files that start with runtime. You have to concatenate whatever the path is from the root drive to get to 'runtime' to be able to open these files. When you locate the poser app I actually strip the app off and just keep the path, which I have to have to make path names out of the cr2 file names. Poser runs from that directory so all the paths are local to the Poser current directory, but the same is not true for anyone else. You can put a file Poser.txt in the same dir as runtime and select that. Poser isn't required, but knowing the path to finish the partial paths in the Poser files is required."

I also asked him what was the best way to create a custom figure from DAZ Production's FREAK model. Here are his two suggestions:

"You can use "Obj as Morph" and the new model is available as a morph. Or, Import as Create Char and the morphs get added to the mesh (but then it's not adjustable)."

Silkrooster
03-25-2004, 09:47 PM
The Freak character can not have morph changes with out Poser. Or at least a program that can inject the morph into the character. The Freak character is based on the new injection method. If it was like the older characters like Vicki 2 and Mike 2, then you could have changed the morphs with a text editor. As the CR2 file is a text file. I think there are programs on the market for creating injection type morphs. Do a search on DAZ's web site for these programs. On their web site there is also programs for changing morphs, perhaps one of those will work.
Also remember that Daz Studio will also beable to change morphs when the program goes commercial.
It may pay to ask on their forum on how to change morphs with out poser.
Also check out www.runtimedna.com and www.renderosity.com for programs and tutorials.
Good Luck;)

wowens
03-27-2004, 05:23 PM
drfoley -- I mentioned earlier that I would try to import one of the FREAK morphs from Poser to LightWave. Attached below is the Orc morph applied to the FREAK. I tried using Sub'Ds to remove the strange artifacts in the shadows but it didn't solve the problem. So, I went back and selected "Triangulate Mesh" in CR2 Loader and that did the trick.

drfoley
03-28-2004, 08:21 AM
That looks cool. Thanks for all the help. I may just have to buy Poser to modify the Freak to my own liking. If I did buy it would I need anything else...

besides CR2 loader and the Freak?

wowens
03-28-2004, 08:52 AM
Besides Poser, CR2 Loader and the FREAK model, you'll need the "Load OBJ as Morph" plug-in from Greenbriar. It's only $20.00 and worth every penny!

If you want to create the ORC character, you'll need to purchase the FREAK morphs and maps product from DAZ. This includes 43 additional morph targets, FREAK textures and 15 MAT poses. This lets you create Goblins, Orcs, Trolls, Zombies, etc.

Good luck with your project!

wowens
03-28-2004, 01:47 PM
prospector -- I was able to get the SubD's to work with the FREAK import from Poser. However, the rendering showed a texture map seam along the shoulders. I was able to remove the seams by raising the "Render SubPatch Level" to 4. The attached image shows a rendering without setting "Triangulate Mesh" in "CR2 Loader" and another (right) with SubPatches generated in Modeler. The rendering time for the SubD version was a bit longer than the "Triangulate Mesh" version. Even though the "Triangulate Mesh" ploygon count was 143444 compared to the SubD's 74510.