PDA

View Full Version : parenting/pivot question

kellermann
01-31-2004, 03:52 PM
hi to all out there,
got a problem with parenting a null to an object: usually when parenting (parent in place is turned off) the null jumps to the position of the object pivots .
Ive moved the object in modeler and centered the objects pivot to the new position. After parenting null in the motion options panel, the null doesnt move to the objects middle/pivot? Is it an coord-systems issue (local, world parent (?)).
im glad for every hint, thanks in advance,
kellermann

mlinde
01-31-2004, 07:51 PM
Do you have autokeyframing on? If you don't, and there isn't a keyframe set for the null, I would un-parent/re-parent it and see if it behaves correctly.

kellermann
02-01-2004, 02:41 AM
its not a matter of keyframing. tested it with keyframes and without. i can parent the null to, for example, the light and it works, the null jumps to the place of the light. but this wont work on the object.
thanks for your answer, mlinde.

SplineGod
02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Once you set up the pivot point in modeler and shove your objects over to layout you cannot go back and retweak the pivot point in modeler and have it update in layout. You have to save the object(s) in modeler and reload them again in layout.
I usually just tweak the pivot points in layout.