PDA

View Full Version : maya to lightwave scale issues

andromeda_girl
01-31-2004, 12:11 PM
hay gang.

as some of us have discovered, when taking lightwave models into maya, the scale goes down significantly- 100% to be exact.
when importing maya animation back into lightwave (via m2lw plugin for example) the scale change is again 100%
however, the objects cannot be scaled back down to their original size (at least i haven't figured out a way to do this yet). i have tried parenting everything to a null and scaling it down, but it only scales the null.

does anyone know a way to get the objects to scale down again?
thanks.
~A.
i can be reached direct at:
andromeda underscore girl at hot mail dot com

ingo
01-31-2004, 12:29 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure if i understand you correct, but can't you scale back the objects in modeller ? What are you ex- and reimporting ? I have the scaling issue with FormZ and EI and Lightwave, but rescaling works fine for me.

P.S.: Whats an underscore girl ? ;)

andromeda_girl
01-31-2004, 12:31 PM
first off, this is an underscore: _

not to be confused with a dash: -

some lower forms of life call it the lowbar.

secondly, it is a character.

haven't tried scaling it down in modeler, it's so crazy it just might work.

~A.

andromeda_girl
01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
ha-
you'd think that would work, but it doesn't.
back in layout, still scaled up 100%.

go figure.
anyone else have any ideas here?
~A.

ingo
01-31-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by andromeda_girl
ha-
you'd think that would work,....

No, i just wanted to keep you busy :)

Very strange, what happens when you leave it as it is, scaled up in Maya and than back to LW ? Or am I thinking too simple ?

andromeda_girl
01-31-2004, 01:51 PM
heh.

well scaling it even larger in maya would result in the same problem only worse- it's already scaled up 100%.

scaling it down in maya would likely be a fix, although unlike lw, our animator would have to re-rig his model after scaling it down, and re-animate.

we're trying to avoid that if we can by having the import back into lw scaled properly.
~A.

ingo
01-31-2004, 02:14 PM
Ok, i understand (yeah, really). I have a colleague who uses Maya and Electric Image successfully, but he had a friend who programmed a translator for him to avoid all this troubles, maybe this would be an option for you too if you use both programs regularly.

andromeda_girl
01-31-2004, 02:15 PM
that would be nice if we could afford to hire a programmer to customize a plugin for us but we're just a couple of people making a collaborative demo reel project.

unless a script like this is available free, we're struggling just now.
~A.

Mylenium
02-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Why don't you just set your measuring units properly? This is one of the oldest phenomenons in CG and the solution to this problem is also that old. I'm not at my Maya at the moment, but I think I've set it to Millimeters to allow proper exchange with LW without any need to rescale.

Mylenium

ingo
02-01-2004, 07:24 AM
Maybe because the measuring units don't scale objects. As said before i have the same problem (with FormZ and LW) and always have to rescale the objects in LW. A dialogbox like when you import 3ds objects would be helpful here.

andromeda_girl
02-01-2004, 10:52 PM
well, we've found that our scale iss ues are all over the map right now...

the model was modeled in lw in realworld scale, but in maya it imports at .001% it's realworld scale.
resizing it in maya to relaworld scale then importing back into lw gives it a 1000% scale jump.

it's insane.
certainly people have dealt with this problem before, and surely it's solvable without hiring a script writer to make me something custom.

people work with lw models into maya and back into lw for rendering all the darn time!

has anyone the answer?

~A.