PDA

View Full Version : Weird Stuff

cholo
01-30-2004, 10:01 PM
I know this may be a little outdated given most users have already switched to T#, but I'll give it a go anyway. I'm running build 3890 on Windows XP (the one you had to order a CD from NewTek to get). And sometimes a few strange things happen. First off, after using it for a while, program windows will refuse to let anything show on top them, so every new window/menu I try opening is concealed by older windows that refuse to go back and even the menu becomes inaccesible because of this, forcing me to close every windows and reopen them. But that is just a minor gripe, my big problem is whn using DV clips. After about a minute of playback, clips will start jumping frames randomly, but audio doesn't stutter. Actually, RTV's won't stutter either, just DV clips. At that point even if I render the timeline as an RTV clip the stutter is rendered out. If I force render, same thing, If I turn off cache, same thing... The only thing that works for me, is to cut down the final video into 1 minute bits and render out those as independant RTV's and link them all together. This becomes a long and tedious process for any video longer than 5 minutes. And sometimes an occasional stutter will appear in the rendered rtv's forcing me to render small mends for those pieces, sometimes even in external apps such as After Effects because if I try rendering inside Ted the stutter will remain through generations. I know I should upgrade to T3, yadda yadda... But fact is my current setup is working fine and until I finally find features I really need I refuse to upgrade.

Just in case, system specs...

Dual 2.4 Xeon
1 Gig Ram
Medea Videoraid RTS 160 gig (disk speed not an issue)
etc...

Paul Lara
01-31-2004, 10:22 AM
- what motherboard?
- Do you have DirectX 9.0b installed?
- What graphics card?

We'll figure this out...

SBowie
01-31-2004, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by cholo
But that is just a minor gripe, my big problem is when using DV clips. After about a minute of playback, clips will start jumping frames randomly, but audio doesn't stutter. Actually, RTV's won't stutter either, just DV clips. At that point even if I render the timeline as an RTV clip the stutter is rendered out. If I force render, same thing, If I turn off cache, same thing...

Medea Videoraid RTS 160 gig (disk speed not an issue) You know, most of what you describe sounds like a DV capture issue, not a VT-Edit playback issue. I suspect you are dropping frames on DV capture (this can happen for a number of well-known reasons), with the result that your clips actually *have* those stutters built into them - small wonder then that they are hard to get rid of.

To test my hypothesis, make sure you have "Stop when frames are dropped" set in your Capture module options, and do some recording. If this *is* the problem, we can likely figure out why...

cholo
01-31-2004, 02:11 PM
First, no, clips do not have dropped frames in them, the frame dropping is inside toaster exclusively and can be worked around as described above.

My system is a dell Precision 450 Workstation with a QuadroFX500 video card. And AFAIK DirectX 9.0b is installed. Clips were shot on a Panasonic AG-DVX-100 in case the codec that camera uses might be the issue, as I do not recall having the issue with clips from another camera. Specifically interlaced material causes this problem as progressive scan shot clips from the same camera have not had the same problem (so far). It's one of those weird weird things.

By the way, thank you for the response to my problem :)

Ivan
01-31-2004, 04:00 PM
Ok, how about some of the other obvious things. Has your system always done this? If not, when did it start and what changed? If it did, what else do you have on the system? Do you have Direct CD or a similar package installed? What processes are running? The Media array does not necessarily mean no problems, everyone I know who has one has experienced a problem. That isn't to say that they are bad, these people have had them for quite a few years running day and night so no matter what they had they would eventually wear out or quit. Are the dropped frames always at the same place? I was working with someone last week who could only get the video to play back about 2 minutes before it crashed. I had him start playing back from 1 minute and it crashed in about a minute, turns out the clip had been corrupted (probably running with a bad crowd).

Ivan

Jim Capillo
01-31-2004, 04:56 PM
I am also using the DVX-100 - I don't know if drive space is your first concern but you can try to capture in this fashion.......

I am controlling the DV playback deck (JVC BR-DV3000U) via firewire but capturing via the Y/C connector as rtv's. While I have experimented saving everything via the firewire port as avi's (works fine, no stuttering), it is easier for me to keep the formats constant (eliminates brain farts on my end).

For the most part, I usually shoot in 24P (not A) and sometimes in regular NTSC video mode. My primary concerns with 24P are whip pans where the video can get a bit jumpy. I've never seen the conditions you are experiencing. Our systems are similar - I have dual 2.8 Xeons with (4) 73gb U320 Seagates, 2 gb RAM. Have you done a uninstall/reinstall and a registry cleanout? You may want to consider that at some point - there may be some bad boy files floating around in there that need to be vaporized.

SBowie
02-01-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by cholo
First, no, clips do not have dropped frames in them, the frame dropping is inside toaster exclusively and can be worked around as described above. I hope you are correct, Cholo, but it really didn't seem from your first post that your 'workarounds' were working. Especially since "even if I render the timeline as an RTV clip the stutter is rendered out" does this seem suspect.

Actually, the only way you mentioned you 'reliably' escaped the stutter was to crop it into 1 minute lengths before rendering, and then you added "and sometimes an occasional stutter will appear in the rendered rtv's " even when you do it that way. I'm not convinced; unless you are able to play the (very same) captured DV clips back seamlessly in another app (or perhaps move through them perfectly in Aura.)

Still, if you are positive the frames that stutter have actually been captured to the DV file correctly, it has to be something else.

cholo
02-01-2004, 05:49 PM
Yeah, I know the behavior exhibited by the system is puzzling. I haven't really been able to figure it out. One thing for sure, clips do not have dropped frames in them, they play back fine in any other app. On the other hand, if I work with rtv files I can work with no problems at all... No dropped frames, not a single glitch ever. I just work with DV avi's to save some space and try to keep the original quality on they way in. I also work with rtv for any intermediate, animation or compositing steps so my problem only comes up when editing from the source files. If it helps for anything I am capturing the DV files from Vegas Video because automatic scene detection is nice :)

SBowie
02-01-2004, 09:12 PM
AAh - I thought you were capturing in VT. I wonder what DV codec Vegas is using? The VT[3] uses the integral Main Concept one because it works substantially better than many others. This would have an effect on playback, I beleive...