PDA

View Full Version : Holy Crap! This is awesome - Immortel Movie

WilliamVaughan
01-30-2004, 04:03 PM
Holy Crap! This is awesome - Immortel Movie
Immortel (ad vitam)
http://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_gen_cfilm=43226.html

www.cinemovies.fr/fiche_multimedia.php?IDfilm=1452

80% LightWave work! All modeling, Lighting, Rendering, etc.

Chrysolithos
01-30-2004, 10:26 PM
Cool. Looks like its based on a story that ran in Heavy Metal a while back.

Chrysolithos
01-30-2004, 11:15 PM
This is the back cover of Heavy Metal, October 1981 issue

Revanto
01-31-2004, 05:53 AM
That looks like something done by the French artist, Moebius.

My friend met him and has a similar art style.

Revanto

dualboot
01-31-2004, 06:59 AM
Artist name is Enkie Bilal (Enes Bilalovic from Belgrade), now living in France. He is as much influental on modern comic scene as is Moebius (Jean Giraud) or Druillet and few others mainly French authors(driven by cultural policy of France during 60' an 70'- no American fast food, fast movies and fast culture) This brought unique French style in Comics aswell in Movies...

Enkie Billal is also directing the movie. Great.

Gianmarco
01-31-2004, 07:52 AM
no words.Hope to see it in Italy .Probably I'll buy the dvd ...or make a week-end in Paris

Nemoid
01-31-2004, 09:47 AM
As said SO well by Dualboot, Bilal is one of the best French comic book artist (there they are called Bandes dessinees). his style takes place initially from Moebius style, but he's very good into storytelling as well.
From what i know, Bilal made 2 movies as a director, and now , this project, taken from his Nikopol trilogy wich involves the use of 3D imagery. really interesting IMO.

in France, there is also a Druillet related project,in 3d, and a Moebius Rapsody project, taken from his masterpiece, Arzach. that will be done in Flash, for T.V.

CB_3D
01-31-2004, 09:48 AM
Itīs the first story from Bilalīs "Alexander Nikopol in the 21st century" epic. Itīs a political satire with a lot of surreal and fantastic elements.

The gods in the preview look a little too smooth and simplistic, almost like gamecharacters. But the color palette looks good, very much like in the comic.Weīll see.

eacide
01-31-2004, 05:00 PM
I hope the atmosphere of the movie will be good.

The cast frightens me... Linda Hardy (a former Miss France) is the blue Lady. She has never ever played in her life... She used to present a crappy TV show... She was quite bad.

She is very beautiful... I hope that her beauty will not hide the mysterious personnality of Bilal's character.

Tonton1
02-01-2004, 07:32 AM
Owning the Nikopol trilogy in comics and having seen Bilal's two previous films, I'm afraid to say that I don't expect much from this one. He's a master at storytelling in drawings alright, but he has a tendency to film like he draws and what you get is a slow story with empty, motionless characters.

However I hope I'm wrong.

Nemoid
02-01-2004, 11:44 AM
Hope you're wrong. Some action is required!!
I never saw his previous movies so I can't judge properly.
In Italy they never arrived. :(
Seeing his work in a movie seem fantastic to me. we will see.:)

CB_3D
02-01-2004, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Nemoid
Hope you're wrong. Some action is required!!
I never saw his previous movies so I can't judge properly.
In Italy they never arrived. :(
Seeing his work in a movie seem fantastic to me. we will see.:)

True, unfortunately.

The original Nikopol (the one without the blue lady) continues to be one of my Top 10 graphic novels, but i donīt expect too much from the movie.

Anyone knows whoīs the producer? Please, let it be Besson.

papou
02-01-2004, 06:37 PM
I love Bilal's comics so much but i still can't watch his 2 past movies.
I heard "Immortel" was a pain to do and the result was a very strange experience for the eye.
Imagine how hard is to make CG for a guy who can change dramatically his drawing style along a comics...
The team choosen by 'Duran' was experimented and talented but the way Bilal work seems to be chaotic and very dangerous when you have to mix realpeople & 3d.
It can be a interesting view of a genius artist, with his incredible universe or somethings totally indigestible.
i hope compositing team are making a good job to unify all of the movie.
wait and see.

ngrava
02-01-2004, 06:52 PM
This is one of my favorite comix from when I was a kid! I have the whole collection. Bilal is one of my favorite artists too. I can't beleive he's making a movie of it after all these years. What's up with that? By the way they've been tying to make a movie with Mobious since the 70's. There have been a few cartoons here and there but never a full feature. The last one I remeber was the "Air Tight Garage" which was supposed to feature cell animation from Katsuhiro Otamo and CG backgrouned by Digital Domain. That was a long time ago though.

-=GB=-

Chrysolithos
02-01-2004, 11:55 PM
Didn't Mobius work on 5th element. For a SF film released in America, it seemed to have a very european feel to it.

jeromeOlivier
02-02-2004, 12:18 AM
I don't know, guys. The teaser isn't all that interesting, but the tv spot looks awesome!

Personally, I thought Bunker Palace Hotel was a great movie, though Tycho Moon left much to be desired. This one looks like it'll be Enki's best movie so far. I'm looking forward to seeing it - will probably be released late 2005 in Tokyo. :(

Man, look at those colors. Awesome! This is going to be a treat!

Nemoid
02-02-2004, 09:21 AM
Not so strange thing that immortel was so difficult to make.
sure that an illustrator is not always easy to work with especially if he has a strange working method. usually drawing hydes some trick, so that proportions and things like that are never properly good for "3D" but with good character design blueprints every 3d artist can wok fine IMO.

From the images I've seen, the Egyptian gods in the movie are well made, but i have to see how they will integrate with real actors.
I like Bilal storyline, but a movie adaptation is a different thing and I agree about the Besson arguing. better let professionals make their job!!

About Moebius, there were many projects do do both movies with real actors , cartoons and 3D as well, but I only saw a demo in a Imagina special with a Starwatcher or smth, and sketches here and there done for these projects. hope that the Flash project I heard of is going well.

Moebius worked in Fifth Element together with J.C. Mezieres, but worked as well in many movies like Willow, Masters of the Universe,Tron, doing char design, costumes and sometimes storyboards.

Also there's the incoming Blueberry movie.

IMO 3D allows as well as animation to transfer in a good way the worlds wich these kinda artist draw, but it have to be real 3D or real animation, not mixed with real actors, just because in this way the drawing of the author is in someway betrayed, while in animation it can be more faithul and deformed just like in the author's vision.
then maybe also authors have to be helped by good directors, wich know well their personality and works (in the case of Moebius , maybe Jodorowsky could do a really good job)

Finally, its incredibly difficult (even if not impossible) to adapt works of the past done in comics.
They are different languages, especially regarding European comics.
Better to do a new work just for the movie, because things projected for a comic don't necessarily fit into a movie.