PDA

View Full Version : Video of my rig

Castius
01-30-2004, 03:44 PM
The LW 8 videos made me feel like making a new video of my LW rigg. These videos are a pain in the butt to get right. But they sure are helpful.

Web link:
http://www.steelronin.com/index.php?page=downloads&content=rigging&tmenu=TMgames

direct links:
Choose your format
http://www.steelronin.com/media/mov/SR_rigg_ts.avi TechSmith 37 megs
http://www.steelronin.com/media/mov/SR_rigg_divx.avi divx 10 megs
http://www.steelronin.com/media/mov/SR_rigg.mov quicktime 12 megs

Revanto
01-31-2004, 06:15 AM
It looks great but can it handle twisting bones like the biceps?

Revanto

Castius
01-31-2004, 07:03 AM
not rght now. because of it's design and it is a part of a auto rigging script the number of bones can't change. but I hope later on I can revamp everything and have alot more flexability.

ericsmith
01-31-2004, 09:48 AM
I just have to ask...

Doesn't it look like auto rigging tools will be pretty much moot with v8? If you can export rig files and really easily move bones around with the ortho tools, then why pay for a plugin to build rigs when you can just take a pre-made rig and drop it on to a new character?

I can imagine that before long, people in this community will even be sharing rigs with each other online.

Eric

Kvaalen
01-31-2004, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by ericsmith
I just have to ask...

Doesn't it look like auto rigging tools will be pretty much moot with v8? If you can export rig files and really easily move bones around with the ortho tools, then why pay for a plugin to build rigs when you can just take a pre-made rig and drop it on to a new character?

I can imagine that before long, people in this community will even be sharing rigs with each other online.

Eric

What Castius is showing isn't commercial so I don't see what paying for a plugin has to do. :)

I agree with you totaly on that subject and you could supposedly reuse rigs with the Ortho Pack (back when you could buy it and now even more) so I didn't see any use in buying anything like ACS4 which was quite a bit more expensive. I never said this before since I didn't want to harm the ACS4 sales but now that you've mentioned it I had to agree.

BTW, I'm sure people will be exchanging rigs especially now that you can save them as a RIG file and easily share and modify them. In fact there are probably RIG files that will come with LightWave[8] (I suppose). Looks like we are all going to forget how to rig. ;)

Castius: It does look like a cool rig and I tried it out a long time ago, but (if I remember corectly) the model is split into many different layers which might be fine for game models but not for subpatched models. I didn't take any time to try and get around that but I think that might make people less eager to use it.

Thanks for sharing. :)

Castius
01-31-2004, 11:07 AM
ericsmith -
I agree rigging will completly change after LW8 but I don't think the auto rigger are out fo buisness. if this was the case every third party plugin developer would never servive software updates. They will just biuld bigger and better plugins.

Kvaalen -
only the proxy items are segmented like the yellow and orenge wireframe you see. the gray object is one solid object. The biggest problem with this rig in terms of non game models is in the way the bones are setup. i had to set up the bones with no rotation for them to export corrently. This means the bones rest length is useless for deforming and must all be weight maped. This can proble be fixed with LW8 new record pivot rotation but we will have to wait to find that out.

Scott

Kvaalen
02-02-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Castius
Kvaalen -
only the proxy items are segmented like the yellow and orenge wireframe you see. the gray object is one solid object. The biggest problem with this rig in terms of non game models is in the way the bones are setup. i had to set up the bones with no rotation for them to export corrently. This means the bones rest length is useless for deforming and must all be weight maped. This can proble be fixed with LW8 new record pivot rotation but we will have to wait to find that out.

OK, I see. I looked at it a long time ago and I guess I forgot most of it. I had the time to look at your auto rigger again recently. It's pritty cool though I didn't try it on any of my own characters (yet).

Originally posted by Castius
I agree rigging will completly change after LW8 but I don't think the auto rigger are out fo buisness. if this was the case every third party plugin developer would never servive software updates. They will just biuld bigger and better plugins.

I'm just curious, but what can the auto riggers add or improve to make it better enough that it would be worth the price once [8] is out (I'm talking about the commercial ones)? I'm not saying there isn't anything to improve. I can see a decent amount of things that could be added/improved but they are small things and I don't think they are worth the price. In a way LightWave [8] has an auto rigger that is fater too. Instead of modifing the skelegons, you modify the bones.

Castius
02-02-2004, 08:15 AM
We'll just to wait to be able to answer that. There is alwasy somthing that can be improved though.

Lamont
02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Auto-rigging is great (even more sweeter if you made the script yourself). And great for large amounts of characters.

I'm still working on transfering my 3DS Max rig to LW. Same rules apply, different names. ;) I RARELY rig in LW, since everything I do has to go into 3DS Max for export.

Perhaps when you do the next script update, break down the stages of rigging, so that you can select the bone to apply it to. More scalable.

I have some techniques you might dig Castius. Send me an pm or something.