PDA

View Full Version : Still Life

Lew
01-30-2004, 01:31 PM
There are some tweeks left in this but I'm all done with it. It's all LW, just a little crop in Photoshop. Comments welcome.
Lew

cagey5
01-30-2004, 01:46 PM
That polysrtyrene cup looks bang on. The spoon looks slightly off bu I'm not sure why and I think the reflection in the wood is a little too deep and clean.

Lew
02-02-2004, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the comments there Cagey5, I agree with you. That spoon gave me trouble from the first test render to the last, despite help from the nice folks over at the WIP forum.

Wanted a nice varnish finish on the wood, I have a table that actually looks like that (when I keep it dusted)
Lew

Hiraghm
02-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Have you tried lowering the specular and gloss both on the spoon?

I can't tell whether you're trying to creat a white plastic spoon or a metal spoon.

The cup is really impressive.

riki
02-02-2004, 04:31 PM
Nice texture on the cup. Can you post a Preset.

veljko
02-03-2004, 01:24 AM
Hi, nice image-
The problem with the spoon is that it does not reflect anything-
If you look at the spoon you will see that it has i think around 70-80% reflectivity- Give it a nice reflection map, pull the diffues to around 30, glossines to around 40 and spec to around 50- This IMHO would be a good start for the spoon

hope this helps!

veljko
02-03-2004, 01:37 AM
Forgot one more thing-

The composition-
I find this in a lot of renders I see,
If you make a showroom render, then its OK to place it in an empty and undefined space- But, if you make an everyday object, that looks like it belongs in a kitchen somewhere or in a coffe shop tosed aside and used, then souch setting just isn't right-
This can be solved with a cool backdrop image and realistic lightening, It can be faked with a camera angle that shows just the cup and stuff-
ill post two examples of what im talking about:)
hope it helps!

veljko
02-03-2004, 01:40 AM

veljko
02-03-2004, 01:42 AM
or you can do it like this (no adittional objects or backdrops, just a good camera angle)
disclamer: i did not, nore em I tryng to present them as that, make these images, and i thank people who did:)

Lew
02-03-2004, 07:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the comments. Guess this is turning into a WIP after all.

Riki, The cup surface is very simple, it's mostly a Photoshop image map.
Here are the settings and the map.

Hiraghm, I couldn't decide either about the spoon. Tried plastic, never did like it, so went for metal. Will try adding some reflections when I get a little time.

Hiraghm
02-03-2004, 10:30 AM
When I saw the Jack Daniels scene again, I had to post my scene based on that tutorial.

http://xtimports.com/graphics/gallery/Coke.jpg

I think using the kitchen scene HDRI for a backdrop would work well for this styrofoam cup scene, too.