PDA

View Full Version : Coplanar In Lightwave

Michael Lizak
01-29-2004, 04:19 PM
Hi,

I've been trying to figure out a good way to coplanar polygons in LightWave for a long time. If you get a chance, please take a look at the attached jpeg of my coplanar ordeal. I'd appreciate any tip or online info you could point me to.

Here is the deal. I brought text in from an eps file. I extruded it, added a bevel with a shift & inset, then one more bevel with just an inset on the front face. Using a combination of the knife tool & mostly the Band Saw Pro plug-in, I sliced & diced the “hard” edges to create interim polygons. These polygons pick up nice hilights and give the text a slightly rounded edge look.

The only problem is that it was tedious & took quite a while to chop it up.

For some time many years ago I used a modeler named “Symbolics” This software eventually became “Triple-i” that became “Mirai” that became “Wings”. It had a tool named “coplanar”. In Symbolics, this tool would slice up an entire object with adjustable knife inset & adjustable angle tolerance. The angle setting would allow one to restrict the the coplanar operation to the more drastic angle changes on the object “ the bevels”, as not to add polygons to the extruded polygons “the extruded polygons on the letter S”

Is there a tool in LightWave, a plug-in, or workflow that will add this detail without the pain?

Thanks,

Michael Lizak
Image Base - Graphics