PDA

View Full Version : U & V Directional Subdivisions

Chingis
01-29-2004, 03:38 PM
I would like a U and V option when subdividing. Idealy it would work with Faceted, Smooth, AND Metaform - but I could live with just faceted for now. I'm always wanting to subdivide in just one direction (just like you can when you make a primitive. see image

mkiii
01-29-2004, 05:42 PM
It wouldn't work very well with anything more complex topologically than a sphere or a cylinder would it?

I'm trying to imagine how something like a character would divide in one direction only. I get the feeling that the results might be messy. IE What would happen when it came across something other than a quad?

Try adding a couple of triangles to your example image & see what happens. As soon as your V division hits a tri, the division will turn through 90 degrees & become a U division.

Don't get me wrong tho - I'm with you on the idea - I've often wanted to subdivide in this way on irregular objects, but can't see a way. or more regular objects, there are already methods such as bandsaw & julienne.

Chingis
01-30-2004, 10:23 AM
I'm cool with the fact that it would only work on quads. It would just return an error - or wouldn't work if it ran into tris or whatever (like bandsaw). All I'm asking for is a Bandsaw ability on multiple rows of quads at once basically.

edit:

but it would have the extended capability of interpolating the subdivisions in the case of metaform.