PDA

View Full Version : My dragon - What ya think?

ACLOBO
01-29-2004, 01:47 PM
Hello all, I have had this dragon that lying around and thought I would post a pic to see what people think. I actually stopped working on it as it was only the second creature I have ever built in Lightwave (to my shame). I thought I would finally post it to see what people thought. Your comments are welcome. I plan on building a different one at a later time - learn from my mistakes on this one. Maybe my third creature will be much better...

-Adrian

unc1e meat
01-29-2004, 02:02 PM
ya know, I like the texturing very much. It looks...lizardy, which I presume is what you'd want on a dragon. However, I think something could be done to the texture on the wings. Something to liven them up a bit. Not sure what that something is....

Nice work though

Leprechaun
01-29-2004, 05:31 PM
nice, why does everyone seem to be modeling dragons recently? maybe i should try one, even thought it will come out extremely bad and prolly look like a handicapped dog. =]

veljko
01-30-2004, 01:17 AM
Hi-
I love the texturing! Very different then the usual dragon textures!
Thumbs up on that!
The modelling is OK, but it could be mucho better, and the head is a bit to dark compared with the rest of the body, I would guess the head and the body are different textures and materials?
That allways leads to trouble:)

cathuria
01-30-2004, 08:06 AM
Nice job:)
My only complaint is that the protruding eyes make the head look a little, well, bovine... I think he needs a more binocular arrangement to look like a predator ( ...unless you intended it as a vegetarian dragon... ):D

marbla
01-30-2004, 08:15 AM
I'm diggin' the colors...great job.

ACLOBO
01-30-2004, 02:40 PM
I appreciate the compliments and comments I have received! I do have to admit that there are some obvious problems with the dragon's design. However, it is just my second critter and I hope to improve with each one. While being a long time lightwave user (version 3.5 +) I have mainly tinkered with mechanical designs and even my paid contracts have dealt with the things like vehicles and such. I am trying to move toward more organic modeling to round myself out.

I love the comment on it being a vegetarian dragon! This dragon (do to its bright coloring) is obviously into fruit salad..... Maybe chili or bell peppers?

Anyway, thanks to all of you that have commented. Getting feedback, whether praises or criticism, is always a good thing - it helps us grow.

-Adrian

marbla
01-30-2004, 05:19 PM
Leave the eyes how they are. If you'd look at any lizard...or even a Komodo DRAGON...the eyes are slightly on the sides.

Ramon
01-31-2004, 08:01 PM
Adrian, I like this little fellow. It's got a cute face. I had implemented the type of iridescense on the tail as you have done very well. At least I think that's iridescense on the tail (and other parts) correct. What I mean by that is a color gradiant -to camera- with it's effects limited by an alpha channel. Is this what you did or am I over-thinking it? Is it a simple luminance map?
I like the simplicity of the design and the indication of a thinning of the wing membrane on the trailing edge of the wing.
Good job. The pose is cool. Will there be an animation?
Keep it up!

DM67
02-01-2004, 03:09 AM
Hi ACLOBO,
fine work, the texture that you used is excellent. I would want to see the dragon in other poses.

ACLOBO
02-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Ramon
Adrian, I like this little fellow. It's got a cute face. I had implemented the type of iridescense on the tail as you have done very well. At least I think that's iridescense on the tail (and other parts) correct. What I mean by that is a color gradiant -to camera- with it's effects limited by an alpha channel. Is this what you did or am I over-thinking it? Is it a simple luminance map?
I like the simplicity of the design and the indication of a thinning of the wing membrane on the trailing edge of the wing.
Good job. The pose is cool. Will there be an animation?
Keep it up!

In actuality, the dragon's base color is very GREEN with a little orange here and there (as they are somewhat complimentary colors). As far as the rest of the very bright and cheery colors - I have a few lights of differing color illuminating this guy. The texturing in truth is pretty bad even though I spent a lot of time on it in photoshop making the bump maps, etc. What we have here is mostly lighting (simple) and a little tweaking of the image afterward in photoshop with the levels. Nothing fancy here - I was just playing with lighting.

As for an animation with this guy - I do have it rigged and bones put it into its current pose. However, my rig is pretty bad and I plan on rebuilding the rig when I get some time. I really need to study how I want this guy to move. However, I also plan on building a new dragon as this was just my second critter and I need to practice on more characters.

-Adrian

Ramon
02-01-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by ACLOBO

As for an animation with this guy - I do have it rigged and bones put it into its current pose. However, my rig is pretty bad and I plan on rebuilding the rig when I get some time. I really need to study how I want this guy to move. However, I also plan on building a new dragon as this was just my second critter and I need to practice on more characters.
-Adrian
Well I like his pose, the way the wings are folded look nice. I have a dragon which I have been working on that is my first dragon and my second creature ever created in 3D as well. It's in the WIP. I am about to rig him soon. They have mentioned the"lips" of my dragon and for the life of me, from the reference I have seen from reptile photograghs, they don't seem to have lips. Can you post a cose up side render of your dragon's head to see how you created your's? If you care to take a look at mine:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?threadid=16715&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

ACLOBO
02-01-2004, 10:34 PM
I think I know what they are referring to when they are mentioning the lips on your dragon. Basically, I don't think the lips on yours are all that bad - just need to be a little wider. What seems to make them seem so thin is that the teeth seem to come from thin air. Perhaps if you could have some GUM (mouth interior) geometry to show where the teeth are rooted. I would shop a closer shot of mine, but my dragon's mouth needs work too - so is probably the not the best reference. Still, if you really wanted a closer shot, I could send ya one....

-Adrian

oDDity
02-02-2004, 06:58 AM
Fantastic texturing, but I agree that the head could do with some tweaking, it looks like an ox or stag or something else vegetarian with sharp teeth.

Hiraghm
02-02-2004, 03:09 PM
There must be some psychic link out there. I'm also working on a dragon, atm. I've been working on it in my spare time for the past couple months, not even ready for texture yet, let alone rigging.

archimede
02-07-2004, 03:05 PM
i am sorry to disagree with most part of you

modeling needs detailing and texturing makes the dragon looking like a ten centimeters rubber toy to my eyes.

it seems to be between toon and realistic, funny and scary, half way. strange style

however, how couldnt we raise thumbs up for a second work :)

bravo

waiting for your next creature :)