PDA

View Full Version : newtek are cool

cresshead
03-11-2003, 02:25 PM
well after being a discreet customer from 1999 i'm sooooo impressed with newtek..they are listening to the users..more so than discreet who only seem to want to squeeze more cash from you no matter what..

max users wanting a port to linux have always and continue to fall on deaf ears at discreet not even a render node...

newtek made a linux capable render ability for lightwave

i asked if it were at all possible for newtek to "send" me a 5.6 install so that i could get the lightscape/lightwave import exporter up n running...they came thru with shinning colors and delivered a 5.6 install disc today...

such commitment to the customer is such a breath of fresh air from the years of having money pulled from my pockets at discreet..with threats of you'll lose out on the C2 upgrade price if you don't do it by the end of the month and we'll be raising combustion to $5000 dollars...only for them to later on drop the rrp of combustion to $995...Hmmm then i got emails saying that you only get extras if you buy max upgrade AND also subscribe in addition...

i later found out that the extras on max 5 that you get with paying 400 per year on top of the upgrade price 715 is stuff that viz users get for free with the program....Hmmmm

and finally after installing lightwave 5.6 today i'm very impressed with lightwave 7.5 seeing as how different it is from lw5.6...sooo much new stuff in comparison to 5.6

so in conclusion i think that newtek's way of conducting business is superb..other 3d vendors should take a look at how to be a listening company and one who cares [really cares] about the users of it's software...

for all those decenters screaming about lightwave do everyone a favour...go out n get maya/max and come back after the next upgrade of that software and tell me what you think of newtek in comparison....

to chuck...if/when i bump into you i owe you several beers and your collegues at newtek...carryon the excellent work.

steve g

www.cresshead.com

Skonk
03-11-2003, 03:35 PM
:)

cresshead
03-11-2003, 03:45 PM
simple...don't knock what you have until you have experienced the opposition's way of doing business.

or

a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush????[not pres. bush!!!]

steve g

riki
03-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Well Newtek haven't been that great lately in my opinion, I sent my for tech enquiry to Custommer care two days ago and still not even so much as an automated reply to say anyone gives a toss.

We've got people making racist comments in other threads, driving one jewish guy away and still the moderators haven't stepped in. Just taking a wait and see approach. This makes me assume that newtek therefore support Tom's extreame right wing veiws.

And my version of lightwave can't even save out an animation becuase QTTools isn't working. Which means that it isn't performing it's basic function.

We get a free maintenance update, but instead of going in and saying wow look at all the bug fixes. You fire up lightwave and pray, pleaaaase I hope they didn't screw this up.

Yes I'm very glad that we can now use True Type Fonts in OS9 but how long has it taken? And guess what, surprise surprise, you can no longer save out the font list. Which mean that every single time you launch Lightwave and want to use a font, you have to go in and load the font list.

I've suggested to them in the past that Lightwave should check to see what fonts you have available in your systems folder and have them there ready to use. But no that would be too easy.

Chuck claims that some beta testers looked at my bug list thread and I should therefore be happy. Well looking at the thread isn't going to do a world of good unless you impletement some of those suggestions. Plus implement them without screwing something else up.

Chuck
03-11-2003, 08:38 PM
Hi, Riki!

I've brought your message about not hearing from [email protected] to the attention of the manager of tech support and the VP of Operations, for their review.

I was not aware there was a thread where people are making personal attacks on one another. Given the other things I'm involved in, I have not been able to keep up with everything on the forum. I'll go look for it. Assuming that we have noticed it and left it alone because we agree with it is incorrect.

We've withdrawn the Mac 7.5b update, with our apologies, and will correct the problems as quickly as we can, and get it back online.

Is your use of the word "claim" intended to mean that you don't believe your list was reviewed by beta testers? If so, I can assure you that it was, and that you in fact know and respect the particular tester whose comments I posted. I regarded that review as the first step in a process that will take some time, not as the end of anything. That's why I put the contents of the review here on the new forums, and I fully expect the process to continue. Everyone here at NewTek is committed to improving our products and to listening to customers needs and wants for each product, on each platform.

I'm certainly sorry that we've disappointed you and a good many other folks this past week, and please rest assured that we are resolved to correct the problems in our process that led to the issues that were in the Mac update, so that this kind of thing does not happen again.

riki
03-11-2003, 08:51 PM
Thanks Chuck, you must really be sick of me by now :-)

Many thanks for your help.

John Fornasar
03-11-2003, 09:05 PM
And my version of lightwave can't even save out an animation becuase QTTools isn't working. Which means that it isn't performing it's basic function.

riki,

Just a bit of an aside here, but you'll probably find saving out individual frames is the way to go...

If you're doing a long render, and anything craps out (LW, Windows, Mac, the power to your house) you can lose the whole render. This can definitely suck.

With individual frames, when you make your animation, you can try different codecs, and play with the settings to get the cleanest, fastest, or whatever you need best animation. (and if you don't have Premiere or Final Cut or whatever, you can always use LW itself). Disk space is cheaper than time nowadays.

If you find you forgot something, or blew the lighting, you have a better chance of fixing it when you have individual frames.

It's worth trying.

riki
03-11-2003, 09:18 PM
Hi John, I hear what your saying, it makes a lot of sense. I will try that method in future.

Many thanks

RuiFeliciano
03-12-2003, 05:36 AM
Hello Chuck,

Not being a Mac user myself I can still say that I haven't installed the 7.5b update nor will I do it in the foreseeable future due to the inumerous reports of broken LScripts, many of which I use in my daily work.

On another point, I must also say that I miss you from the days you were in customer support...seems people's relations with Newtek were greatly damaged from the day you left, your commitment is just not matched by whoever filled your shoes. As an example, I've sent an email on the 5th of this month to customer support asking for my registration key for LW 5.5 b since I had HD problems and had not stored the license key on a piece of paper. Well, to this date I've still not heard back from them. My problem is now solved because after 2 days of not hearing from you I contacted Newtek Europe which asked me to register again (although my LW 7.5 was already registered with Newtek US they had no access to that information (???)) and supplied the registration key promptly. Just wanted to say that you're missed from customer support :-)

mav3rick
03-13-2003, 06:51 AM
chuck good reply and let's hope for better of newtek/lightwave/lw community this kinda things won't happen in future....

Chuck
03-13-2003, 07:45 AM
Hi, Rui!

I can assure you that the Tech and CS staff are every bit as dedicated, but demand is running a bit ahead of staffing these days. When there seems to be a delay in getting a response, try emailing the Tech Support manager directly, John Fletcher - [email protected], or the CS Manager (in the case of needing your key), Karen Shaheen - [email protected], and they will see to it that you get assistance.

The LScript issue breaks down two ways - LScript 2.6 does change a number of behaviors, and for this reason some portion of current LScripts will not run; and there were some issues in the 2.6 release, which caused problems with some LScripts.

Regarding the LScripts affected by changed behaviors in 2.6: some of the compiled LScripts that no longer run will only need to be recompiled in order to run. Another portion of compiled LSCripts and those uncompiled LScripts affected by these changes will need to be revised. Some LScript producers have already recompiled or revised and recompiled, and issued updated versions.

As for the issues in 2.6, those are being corrected by the programmer, and once we have them resolved, we'll update the patches.

faulknermano
03-13-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Chuck

As for the issues in 2.6, those are being corrected by the programmer,

that would be Bob Hood. tis funny.. sounds like bob's slaving his butt off. hehehe... hi bob!

cresshead
03-13-2003, 10:31 AM
just to add...lightwave is V cool!...trying to turn the thread back to an up beat one!!!!

and i'll be getting ACS4 as soon as my pay comes thru...

steve g

kevin3d
03-13-2003, 02:10 PM
As a Discreet customer since Max R1, I have to totally agree with Cressheads original sentiment. I was first really impressed that Newtek allows and supports the 3rd party transfer of LW licenses...Discreet actively trys to stomp this out. The ridiculous cost of max upgrades is another thing. And lets not forgot that while maya & LW & C4D dropped their prices significantly, max hasn't budged.

I'm sure Newtek isn't perfect, and Discreet isn't all bad...but.....

DaveW
03-13-2003, 03:02 PM
I used to be a Hash user so NewTek/Lightwave is like Heaven :) I'm always impressed by Chuck's level of professionalism. It's gotta be pretty frustrating at times but he's never lost it, unlike some other "professional" software developers.

Lamont
03-13-2003, 04:03 PM
Yeah, I'm kinda pissed at Discreet. Not only do they remove whole tech-support departments and recomend for me to call my re-seller for support, they now charge for it by case... or by year.

Also I ran into the "You can only authorize 3DS Max 3 times over the net deal.". That sucks too, but I guess I have to manage.

I've always been happy with NewTek. There are times when the program drives me nuts, but since I have been using since 5.0, I know how to manage.

I wouldn't mind modding this forum...

cresshead
03-13-2003, 04:24 PM
early last year, after a nice freelance job i was on the lookout for either a bunch of plugins for max or maybe viz4 [at that time it had radiosity where as max didn't..] and lightscape 3.2 as well...then i turned my head toward other apps..it was just before the big maya price drop...i took a look at lightwave as it continued to impress me with its output and full cgi tv shows such as roughnecks etc...i had a long think and simply brought it down to either viz4 plus lightscape or lightwave 7.0....just couldn't make my mind up!...believe it or not i asked a friend to flip a coin for me!...lightwave won!...i stoodby the result and went and ordered lightwave 5 mins later over the telephone!....and very happy that i did too.[and thats' totally true btw]

i also have lightscape as well now...and as you know the ace people at newtek sent a 5.6 disc out so i could get the connection back up..

i did begin to wonder a little after the maya price drop but i now have maya 4.5ple dvd pack and so far think maya is quite an awkward 3d app to learn so lightwave is still my "good feeling app"....even more so with ACS3 and ACS4.

this year i started a new post as a collage lecturer teaching a 3d rendering and animation course where they teach with 3ds max and combustion2....i'm also throwing in lightwave bits as it's a cgi course not a 3dsmax course!....i'm yet to get my first student to buy lightwave [2 have bought student max5's] but i only started in feb...so i'll let you know how i get on..although i have a friend who i convinced to buy lightwave.

cheers

:)

steve g

www.cresshead.com

riki
03-13-2003, 04:25 PM
Yeah Newtek are cool and we all love Lightwave. But we still ***** and give them hell. :D

It keeps everyone honest.

Yep chuck is very professional, never looses his cool, we're lucky to have him.

Epita
03-14-2003, 08:40 AM
NT=LW=VT=:D :D :D :D !