PDA

View Full Version : No video input.

Trevor
01-29-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi,

My video toaster2 input is intermitent from my video camera. It works for about 30 seconds then just goes to a black screen.
The output is fine its just the input for recording.
This is a clean install with only the toaster 2 software running, Build 3890 which i have done twice now.

I have tried several different build graphics card drivers but still the same problem.

My system spec are as follows.

intel D875PBZ motherboard
1 GIG DDR PC3200 memory
intel p4 3.0 ghz
geforce FX5950 graphics card.
2 seagate barracuda 120gb serial ata drives.

Windows xp pro
directx 9.b

Any help would be appriciated.

Trevor Smith.

ted
01-29-2004, 11:48 AM
Try a different Cable from the camera. This has solved many issues.

There's a small chance the connector on the camera is not sending proper signal. I know we have a flaky input BNC on one of our monitors that cause problems.

Are you using BOB? If so, for the heck of it, try a different input on the BOB.
After that, ???

Trevor
01-29-2004, 01:22 PM
I have checked all cables and connections, changed svhs leads, nothing.
The same thing happens with my composite feed from my vhs deck. It will work from 30 secs to a minute then nothing.
If i shut down the computer and restart, it works then just bombs out.
My gut feeling tells me its a software/driver problem its just i dont know how to nail it.

Rich Deustachio
01-29-2004, 03:18 PM
You don't have EzCD Creator on the system do you?

Trevor
01-29-2004, 05:10 PM
No..! Why? does that create problems.

Jim_C
01-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Any packet writing software, whether EZ CD Creator or other, causes major problems with the T, and isn't too friendly with other apps either. There are plenty of burning progrmas that don't use it or give you the option of not installing it.
Nero being one.

Packet writing software is a major no no on a system with a T installed.

Trevor
01-29-2004, 05:53 PM
Ok, thanks for the explanation.
I really am stumped here with this problem, everything was fine on my win 2000 system,but i really needed to upgrade my hardware so i opted to buy a new sytem.
I know most of you have probably upgraded to toaster 3, but do any of you guys run toaster2 on win xp without problems?

I have tried disabling all other devices to find out if its a irq problem with no luck.

The only thing i could try is putting the toaster in a different pci slot, do you think thats worth a try?

bradl
01-29-2004, 09:11 PM
This may sound crazy, but have you checked your space available on your RAID? You wouldn't be the first to have it full and not know it (I've done it myself). Also try defrag, deleting caches, disabling indexing, and rebooting a couple of times...

As far as using a different slot, that can be very important on certain boards. Some PCI slots share interupts with AGP and other hardware. Search for posts by Blaine at Video Hardware as he has addressed this before. Also VT board should be in 32bit slot and RAID controller in 64bit slot.

Lastly, run memory test and disk test.

Trevor
01-30-2004, 06:35 AM
Yes my raid drives have ample space.
I put the toaster in another slot, but still the same problem.
However in doing so, reinstalling drivers from swapped pci devices, i was led to the monitor settings.

I took the refresh rate down and i now get a much longer time before i lose the feed...! something that simple.

I also took the core speed down on my graphics card, which also helped.
Its not perfect yet but with a few tweaks i must be able to get it solid.

Trevor
02-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Well, try as i might i still cant get a stable input on my system.
I really am at a loss with this problem.
I have tried everything i can think of, stripping the machine down to bare bones to give the toaster the best chance it needs to funtion correctly.

The machine is built to toaster spec as listed in the system requirements so i really cant see why there is a problem.

The toaster card is fine, i put it back in my old workstation and it works perfectly, but i really could do with the increased speed of my new machine.

Do you think its worth upgrading to vt3 ? since my new system is on par with the recommended spec with a t3 setup.
I was just wondering since its optimized for win xp pro.

PIZAZZ
02-02-2004, 11:24 AM
That sounds more like a problem with your Toaster card. Check with your dealer to see if you can borrow a different VT card to check your system out.

We have a very similar system and it works perfectly for us.

Trevor
02-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Hello Jef

My toaster card works perfectly in my old system, i put it back in over the weekend, so it has to be a problem with my new machine.

When you say you have similar system is the motherboard the same as mine? ( intel D875PBZ )

I would like to know if this board works with the toaster.

Trevor
02-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I recieved my toaster3 upgrade today.
It installed fine, but low and behold, i get exactly the same problem, my video inputs just freeze after a minute or so.

Is build 4744 the latest build?
I really need some help to fix this video in problem though.
I,m going to start from scratch this evening and reinstall windows.

On a positive note, the t3 software is exellent. Vtedit is awsome,
i am very impressed.

SBowie
02-06-2004, 03:16 PM
This smacks of a hdwe. conflict - what mobo, and which slot are you using for your VT. What else is mounted on the system?

Trevor
02-06-2004, 05:21 PM
Hi Steve
Thanks for your post.

Well i'm back now after a fresh install of winxp, latest bios drivers, inf drivers, everything i can think of.....still no joy.

There is nothing else in my system except the toaster card
and a nvidia agp graphics card.
I have five pci slots on my motherboard and i have patiently tried every single one.
When you say mobo, i gues you mean motherboard right?

Its an intel 875. which tech support said was fine.

Regards.

SBowie
02-06-2004, 06:16 PM
When you wrote in your first post that 'it works for about 30 seconds, then goes to a black screen', you are talking about simply viewing Main in, and indicating that your Program out goes to black after a brief interval -- not that it kicks out of Capture mode after about 30 seconds, right?

Trevor
02-06-2004, 06:29 PM
Yes thats right.

When i open up vt, with my camera on, it all starts fine.
Then it just goes, with a message "no video signal present.(potential driver lock up).

I am not recording to disk, so it cant be a raid problem, i am just monitoring.

This happens with my yc input from my camera and my composite input from my vhs deck, they both go at the same time.

If i quit vt3 then run kill winrtme, it gets the signal back when i load up vt again, but just goes after a minute or so.

SBowie
02-06-2004, 09:16 PM
Any chance the new box could be running significantly hotter than the other one? I might be grasping at straws here, but maybe try it with the side off and a household fan blowing in -- just for laughs ... sometimes this will reveal where the problem lies.

Trevor
02-07-2004, 08:43 AM
lol..... it will be cool in a minute, it'll be in the ditch at the end of the garden..!

Seriously, i doubt thats the problem. the are 4 fans in the box, not counting the cpu fan and graphics card fan.

It looks like i will have get a new motherboard, oh well.
Either that or go back to my old system, it was slow but it worked.

Cheers.

Jim Capillo
02-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Trevor
lol..... it will be cool in a minute, it'll be in the ditch at the end of the garden..!

Seriously, i doubt thats the problem. the are 4 fans in the box, not counting the cpu fan and graphics card fan.

It looks like i will have get a new motherboard, oh well.
Either that or go back to my old system, it was slow but it worked.

Cheers.

Make sure you check that the cpu fan is actually running.

SBowie
02-07-2004, 06:39 PM
lSeriously, i doubt thats the problem. the are 4 fans in the box, not counting the cpu fan and graphics card fan. It's a longshot, but we're down to that. The VT card has been known to run just shy of thermonuclear ... I'm just trying to think of possible differences betwene the two units.

Trevor
02-07-2004, 07:21 PM
Thanks Steve,

And to everybody for your suggestions,
i really do appriciate the help from this forum...cheers.

I have virtually given up now and resigned myself to buying another motherboard.
Its really strange, the output is solid, if its a problem with the communication through the pci bus from the motherboard, i cant see why out works but in does not.

One more thing, does anyone know what optimum (pci latency timer) should be set at in the bios?

Paul Lara
02-09-2004, 06:04 AM
My system spec are as follows.

intel D875PBZ motherboard
1 GIG DDR PC3200 memory
intel p4 3.0 ghz
geforce FX5950 graphics card.

Trevor,
I'm assuming this is an AGP graphics card?
If it's PCI, that could explain wierd behaviors.

Trevor
02-09-2004, 11:44 AM
Hi Paul

Yes its agp. x8
A 256 mb beastie.