PDA

View Full Version : multiple key codes in one .key file ?

richwave
01-29-2004, 07:56 AM
I have five USB keys, five key codes to use (one each, obviously) and I read in the instructions that you can key in all codes into one lisence.key file (seperating them with returns). This would mean being able to plug any key into one of five Macs running Lightwave and the key would be recognised.

I can't get this to work.....any suggestions ?

Lightwolf
01-29-2004, 08:03 AM
Hm, no suggestions really, except to confirm that it works fine here on a PC (five keys in one single key file as well).

Basically:
xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx
yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy
zzzz-zzzz-zzzz-zzzz
...or whatever.

Cheers,
Mike

BeeVee
01-29-2004, 08:12 AM
As LightWolf says, it should work fine. What sort of Macs and dongles are we talking about?

B

meshmaster
01-29-2004, 08:20 AM
should work, in theory... BUT, if this is like in a computer lab or something... uh, be careful. It's highly possible to fry a dongle if you have people that keep sliding out usb dongles and then reinserting them on a daily basis... so like if you put the dongles on a keychain or whatever and give them out to only certain people to use to log in, you could be asking for some problems? A better solution in such circumstance is to put the hard drive somewhere far away and secure from the monitor and keyboard, using monitor extension cords or something and maybe wireless technology or whatever to keep the dongles nice and safe many feet away from those that may try to grab the dongle and run...

richwave
01-30-2004, 01:23 AM
I'm was running Mac OSX.1.5 (problems since with X.2.8 and Panther) and although I wasn't swapping the keys around - I just wondered why it didn't work.

However - I never installed the sentinel framework software under X.1.5. The keys worked (with one code in the file) anyway. Maybe that was the problem.

I'm having Sentinel dongle 'conflicts' with Lightwave and Avid in X.2.8 at the moment (see other posts) and Panther is WIP for Newtek at the minute...

cheers anyway

richwave
12-13-2004, 09:59 AM
Still got the multiple license key problem - they work on their own but not together, on their own line. If the first key in the list corresponds to the dongle in use, then that works, but swapping the dongle and relaunching doesn't.

OSX.3.6, LW7.5d, sentinel driver updated (see other posts re. Lightwave vs. Avid dongles)

BeeVee "What sort of Macs and dongles are we talking about?"

G4 / eMAc, purple sentinel USB key dongles x 5

richwave
06-23-2005, 08:57 AM
The solution is to add the multiple license codes into the License.key file in SimpleText (Classic)

Save the file with SimpleText and it all works OK

The reason is that carriage returns (enter) are different between Classic and OS X (Unix)

;)