PDA

View Full Version : newtek please read : Idea for distributing lw 8 electronic upgrade

videoguy
01-29-2004, 07:35 AM
We all know that there has been some controversy regarding the issue of how the elecetronic upgrade will be distrbuted. we all know that newtek can't have a few thousand users downloading a file over 500 megs off their server. well i think i have the answer its called bit torrent (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html) the way its distributed file sharing which means the more people that are downloading it the faster it downloads. i know it dosent seem to make sense but read the info at the link it really works well. eyeon recently used it to aid the distrobution of df courseware i was averaging over 170KBS down. it is used alot in the distrobution of verisons of linux on some occasions i have been able to download at speeds in excess of 500KBS when there are alot of people downloading it

Exper
01-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Chuck Baker confirmed the CD upgrade for USA and Canada.
Take a look here:
NewTek: LW Upgrade with DFX+ Special Offer Ends Soon
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16585

For Europe... something is moving... I hope we'll have a clear and definitive response quite soon! ;)

Elsewhere... I really don't Know. Sorry!

Bye.

JeF
01-29-2004, 10:23 AM
[i]well i think i have the answer its called bit torrent (http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/introduction.html) the way its distributed file sharing which means the more people that are downloading it the faster it downloads.[/B]

This is really insane. :rolleyes:
BitTorrent is mainly used by people who pirate software. I think it would be pretty stupid for us legal owner to help those who want pirated version by sharing our bandwith.
If Newtek choose to go this way in spite of a securised ftp, i might pay the extra pennies to get a cd version!

Exper
01-29-2004, 10:30 AM
Agree.

An handshake goes to JeF!

Lightwolf
01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by JeF
BitTorrent is mainly used by people who pirate software.

You mean like people that download the latest Courseware tutorials from Eyeon (580MB)? I downloaded it on the first day without a hitch, or any of the issues that I remember from NT upgrades...
Or the ones that download Linux ISO images for RedHat or Knoppix? or Dan Maas' Mars Explorer MPEG-2 Animation (320MB)?

I think it would be pretty stupid for us legal owner to help those who want pirated version by sharing our bandwith.
You don't really... Unless the pirates d/l the content as well. I've used bittorrent for a couple of high volume d/ls, and it really rocks.

Videoguy: I mailed Chuck about bittorrent a couple of months ago, and they are aware of the option.

Cheers,
Mike

videoguy
01-29-2004, 10:41 AM
i admit bit torrent is used by pirates but it is wasnt orginally designed for that use many corpoatations are looking at it for use

Exper
01-29-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Lightwolf
Or the ones that download Linux ISO images for RedHat or Knoppix?All you need is a DownloadManager... expecially a free one (ehehe)... nothing more... nothing less!

Bye.

JeF
01-29-2004, 10:56 AM
You mean like people that download the latest Courseware tutorials from Eyeon (580MB)? I downloaded it on the first day without a hitch, or any of the issues that I remember from NT upgrades...
Or the ones that download Linux ISO images for RedHat or Knoppix? or Dan Maas' Mars Explorer MPEG-2 Animation (320MB)?
Yep i did also download Eyeon tutorials and Redhat images.
But i really dislike the new search engine develloped recently witch transform bitTorrent to a more than effective peer2p client.
In my opinion it is a really good software to share free content and so but the lack of security isn't really suited to distribue legitime software.
Or i'm wrong?

You don't really... Unless the pirates d/l the content as well.
True. With search engine it won't last long before pirates get the link. So one in another you will soon or late upload to someone who isn't a legitime user.
:o

Lightwolf
01-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Exper
All you need is a DownloadManager... expecially a free one (ehehe)... nothing more... nothing less!
Bye.
Doesn't help much if the server bogs down under the load. I remember times when it took me two days to get onto NTs site and to the download page, despite me using a d/l manager...
Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
01-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Ok, one more thing...
You also support the pirates by paying for LW. If you wouldn't pay, NT couldn't develop and the pirates wouldn't have LW to copy ;)
I'll leave it at that though. Imho bittorrent is a decent, fast way to get the load of NTs server and make a large scale online distribution feasible. It's a shame to have pirates "misuse" the tech, but then again, they "misuse" any tech anyhow.

Cheers,
Mike - scnr ;)

Exper
01-29-2004, 11:07 AM
Doesn't help much if the server bogs down under the load.Every modern Download Manager support "Content-Range" to restart the download from the previous one; make it auto-reconnect and it'll work progressively until all the file will be on your own HD!

Without any pirate support!

Cheers!

JeF
01-29-2004, 11:08 AM
You also support the pirates by paying for LW. If you wouldn't pay, NT couldn't develop and the pirates wouldn't have LW to copy ;)

Ehehe, so true.. Reminds me of the egg and chicken quid. :D

I'll leave it at that though. Imho bittorrent is a decent, fast way to get the load of NTs server and make a large scale online distribution feasible. It's a shame to have pirates "misuse" the tech, but then again, they "misuse" any tech anyhow.

Yep, i hope one day we will see a real securised p2p client (great for sharing renders to oversea clients). Another traditional way to help newtek distribue the content might be setting up private mirrors. I'll be glad to offer some bandwith to do this.. But there is always the security problem.
Stuck.

NanoGator
01-29-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by JeF
BitTorrent is mainly used by people who pirate software. I think it would be pretty stupid for us legal owner to help those who want pirated version by sharing our bandwith.
If Newtek choose to go this way in spite of a securised ftp, i might pay the extra pennies to get a cd version!

Oh brother.

a.) BitTorrent is used quite extensively for legitimate reasons. Even if 99.9% of the bittorrent transfers were illegal, there's little relevance here. It's a tool, not a way of life.

b.) Lightwave is dongle protected. Using something like Bittorrent does not mean, in any way, that LW will be pirated. When you download LW and use it without a dongle, it goes into demo mode, and Newtek is perfectly okay with that.

c.) Newtek has no use for a 'secured' FTP site.

JeF
01-29-2004, 12:53 PM
a) Yep you are right.

b) Ehehe, off course it's gonna be pirated like software always does. But you are right about the demo mode.. Didn't think about that one.

c) Secured ftp isn't important when you are dealing with free content and so. But with a release like LW[8] the problem is not the piracy itself, it's limitating the download volume to only legitime user. If not the server will be overwhelmed with unecessary request from non-legitimate users.
Eyeon for exemple does request users to log for downloading software update only, not for contents.

d) There is one thing i'm really wondering about. Are they going to release an hybrid-cd iso for all of us who are working both with mac and pc world?

CB_3D
01-29-2004, 04:17 PM
IMHO it is a bit naive to think that 8 won´t be all over the net an hour after its release.

DarkLight
01-29-2004, 05:54 PM
I don't think there's any download method that hasn't been used by pirates yet. As NanoGator says it's a tool, people will use it as they want to, legal or otherwise.

I personally prefer using ftp when transferring large files. I used to transfer large files of up to 3Gig on a weekly basis and never had any problems. Most ftp software will now let you resume downloads. It's just up to the host to supply the bandwidth :)

Karmacop
01-29-2004, 06:19 PM
From what I've heard LW8 will be distributed as a mac cd, a pc cd, and a content cd.

bit torrent is an idea, I don't know how successful it'd be though ...

JeF
01-29-2004, 06:39 PM
No hybrid cd? Wow.. It might take more bandwith than i had imagined.

Re-thinking about the distribution again...
In fact Lightwolf might be right about bitTorrent. If you put together the size of the download and an aproximative minimum of 1000 download a week it is an impressive amount of bandwith for an ftp server. This might cost NT a lot of money.
So yea bitTorrent is a great solution. :rolleyes: