PDA

View Full Version : Need help with NT's blood cell tutorial

Turner
01-28-2004, 08:57 PM
Hi -

I can get to the point where I have to use "smooth shift" and I'm lost...

First, I thought I was editing the WHOLE cell, not just the top half -

Even so, when I shift+F to smooth shift, my object just kind of crumples up with several irregular parts.

Are there errors in the tutorial? Or is it me?

Thanks,
Andrew

Turner
01-31-2004, 07:31 AM
Ok, I figured it out to this point.. the tutorial glosses over a lot, including saying things like "select all polygons" when it means "select only the top polygons"...

Anyway, after following the rest of the tutorial, I've found it's basically crap. It just doesn't work for a newbie - maybe I'm missing a lot, but there are a LOT of things left out in the tutorial. That worries me a bit because I was planning on relying on those tuts for learning.

Is there another tutorial (somewhere else) which basically goes into the use of incidence angle for this type of "electron microscope" look?

Thanks,
Andrew

mattbolton
01-31-2004, 09:43 AM
If you provide a link to the tutorial in question, I'll take a look at it.

Turner
01-31-2004, 09:46 AM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/tutorials/modeling/bloodcells/index.html

But I found a killer tutorial essentially for the effect I was looking for:

http://www.niklasindustries.com/tutorials/tut_virus.htm

Cheers,
Andrew

mattbolton
01-31-2004, 11:58 AM
Well, it looks like you found another tutorial, but here is where you diverged from the instructions on the first one and got off track.
When it says "make a flat box with 2 segments in either direction", that means a FLAT box, so the entire object only has 4 polygons, there is no top half or bottom half, it exists in a single plane. If you get that part right, the rest of the tutorial should work. To create that FLAT box, you only need to drag out the shape of the box in one viewport, if you drag in a secondary viewport, it is no longer flat.
HTH

Turner
01-31-2004, 01:22 PM
I see.

Well, last time I checked, that was called a "plane"...

Thanks - I'll try it again, though I've found a few other discrepancies which became obvious in the other tutorial. I'll just adapt!

Thanks,
Andrew

Originally posted by mattbolton
Well, it looks like you found another tutorial, but here is where you diverged from the instructions on the first one and got off track.
When it says "make a flat box with 2 segments in either direction", that means a FLAT box, so the entire object only has 4 polygons, there is no top half or bottom half, it exists in a single plane. If you get that part right, the rest of the tutorial should work. To create that FLAT box, you only need to drag out the shape of the box in one viewport, if you drag in a secondary viewport, it is no longer flat.
HTH