PDA

View Full Version : Getting particles visible w/o HV?

Turner
01-28-2004, 02:30 PM
Hi -

I can only seem to get tiny dots... is there a way to get particles larger/textured?

I know I can adjust size for interaction, but aside from assigning hypervoxels, I can't get much more than teeny tiny dots!

Been looking through the manual and I can't seem to find a way. I understand they're 1-point polygons; why would it matter, then, if I assigned a texture?

And, more importantly, is there a way I can assign geometry to follow each particle?

thx
Andrew

wingwalker
01-28-2004, 02:36 PM
there is another thread going on with the answer to one of your questions.

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17284

I dont use particles so i dont know about the size thing.

Rob T

riki
01-28-2004, 04:17 PM
You can set the size in the HV Window.

Turner
01-28-2004, 04:28 PM
HV Window? As in "Hypervoxels?"

Originally posted by riki
You can set the size in the HV Window.

riki
01-28-2004, 04:41 PM
yeah Hypervoxels

Turner
01-28-2004, 04:53 PM
Ok,

Maybe I'm missing something obvious here, but my post is entitled

"Getting particles visible w/o HV?"

"w/o" meaning, "without"...

thanks,
Andrew

yeah Hypervoxels

pdrake
01-28-2004, 04:56 PM
maybe if you explained what you are trying to accomplish a little more clearly it would be easier to formulate a solution.

cheers

riki
01-28-2004, 05:04 PM
You could try metaballs. Why do you need to do it without HV? What kind of FX are you after.

Turner
01-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Ok -

Let's say I have a particle emitter set up and when rendered, each particle (aside from the motion blur) looks like a little tiny point...

What if I want to make each individual point render 4x as big? Can I do this without hypervoxels?

I'd like to be able to do this without attaching geometry. Imagine, for example, if rather than a single tiny point, you could render the particle to appear as large as its particle size is set up - so if you assign particle size to 1 meter, it renders at (drumroll) 1 meter.

That's simplistic; perhaps there is no way to do this without hypervoxels. But what I'm failing to understand, currently, is why a single-point polygon would need/allow a texture to be assigned if it isn't going to show up anyway.

For a real-world example, let's say I just want to create sparks that drop for a moment as if something was welded. I have no trouble setting up and animating the particles themselves - but what I want to be able to do in this case is start the particles off white and large and have them end up small and dark red after passing through yellow.

Can that be done without HV?

thanks,
Andrew

Originally posted by pdrake
maybe if you explained what you are trying to accomplish a little more clearly it would be easier to formulate a solution.

cheers

Turner
01-28-2004, 05:19 PM
Hi riki -

I haven't even considered/looked into metaballs yet! hee hee.. don't know what I can do with them in LW yet.

As far as a specific effect, I'm simply experimenting to find out what I can do with the particle system, but as I was saying, sparks is a good example. Another would be blood cells in a blood stream - another, maybe, leaves in a river...

But I'm also interested in creating "pure vfx" such as "plasma streams" that follow the physics models and so forth.

I'm trying to do it without HV because of the rendering overhead - particles are almost instantaneous on my systems, and, well, HVs aren't.

Going to look up metaballs now... thanks!

Andrew

You could try metaballs. Why do you need to do it without HV? What kind of FX are you after.

zuzzabuzz
01-28-2004, 10:26 PM
Partigons, anyone?
You can change the rendered size in Properties, under Edges-->Particle/Line Thickness.

But yeah..1D..so..not a lot of shading going on. Can get some spiffy color changes though.

And FX_Link (as referred earlier) is the way to go to attach objects to particles.

Turner
01-29-2004, 04:19 AM
Thanks, that'll help...

I'm beginning to think HV sprites may be my best bet though... then onto full HV when I can let it go overnight...

Cheers,
Andrew

Originally posted by zuzzabuzz
Partigons, anyone?
You can change the rendered size in Properties, under Edges-->Particle/Line Thickness.

But yeah..1D..so..not a lot of shading going on. Can get some spiffy color changes though.

And FX_Link (as referred earlier) is the way to go to attach objects to particles.

pdrake
01-29-2004, 10:28 AM
i think you're looking for some type of "holy grail". we'd all like to speed up renders, but hv are basically what you are talking about here. you could try increasing the size of points with glow radius and give it a yellow/red gradient. then again, glow is a post process also, so speed increases might not be that significant. it will be interesting to see if you are successful. let us know.