PDA

View Full Version : Smartskin?

hrgiger
01-27-2004, 05:47 PM
I finally managed to snag the latest keyframe and I was looking through the Lightwave 8 review. Not much new info there, but I noticed the smartskin panel in modeler. Is this just part of the rotate skelegons plug-in or is this something seperate altogether? I know we can rotate skelegons in modeler now and that it respects weight maps but I was under the impression that it only respected the weight map that the selected bone was tied to? Normally, I can have 3 or 4 weight maps all affecting one area such as the shoulder joint, and I'm not sure how smartskin will help if we can only see the deform for one of those weight maps.

Revanto
01-27-2004, 06:00 PM
For Smart Skinning to work exactly how you want it to, you need to use weight normalisation and weight map only. This means, one weight map per bones.

Otherwise, you have other bones influencing the weightmap and falloff, etc...

Revanto

Chris S. (Fez)
01-28-2004, 10:19 AM
Because of the indefinite delay of Lightwave 8 I have been moving my current project to a competing package. "One weight map per bone" must be a limitation of Lightwave's "smartskin" because it works GREAT in package X. For balljoint areas like the shoulders and thighs the ability to have multiple bones influencing the mesh is important. It also helps if you are fixing the deformations of denser meshes.

Release what is ready. Save the buggy stuff for 8.x.