PDA

View Full Version : [Modeller Script] rasterizing

aso3
01-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Hi,

I'm totally new to LightWave Script but I got some experience with C so don't be too soft on me ;) Anyway, I want to create a script that subdivides a (very large) landscape, and then cuts it into small 100 by 100 meter parts. In the end, each part has to be exported to a 3DS file. I just saw in another post that somebody had problems with the Knife-tool in scripts. Well, I think I have the same, don't know how to use it in script. But ok, these steps have to be taken for in the script:
1.- Rasterize the complete landscape (knife ?? :( ) into smaller
parts.
2.- Triple everything. Not much of a problem I guess
3.- Perform 1 or more subdivides... I saw the subdivide function in a script. That's not the problem but, I'm affraid the complete model will eat 2.5 million polygons... Please don't crash!
4.- Remove garbage (1 or 2 point sets) so it can be exported.
5.- Export each part to 'map_x_y.3DS'

I hope I didn't ask too much :rolleyes:. The triple and input parameters are simple but can somebody help on the other points? I would really appreciate that!

Greetings,
Rick

Titus
01-27-2004, 06:26 PM
How about Drill->slice operations to subdivide the mesh? Thats how julian works (I think).

wiffzack
01-28-2004, 09:25 AM
I think knife and such tools work in ls 2.6.

And if you are afraid that your system chrashes use the monitor functions. (monitit, monstep...) If they are used the ESC key could quit the script. But implementation is not so easy if it should exit immediatly

aso3
01-28-2004, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the tips guys, but I'm afraid my Script Editor is version 1.2. Aren't their any other ways to split the terrain up into pieces? I doesn't nescesarely has to be a script, as long as it all goes automatically I'm happy! Or maybe I'm not using the right implementation, the only thing my script does for knife is this:
Knife(); // gives error: "Unresolved function reference: knife();"
I suppose it needs some parameters, but I don't know which. Isn't their somewhere a overview with functions and parameters for LScript?

Greetings,
Rick

Titus
01-28-2004, 04:22 PM
Ok, maybe I should be more descriptive.

Forget the knife tool. You have the soliddrill() funtion, just create a group of parallel planes in a background layer, perform the slice operation and you have your terrain subdivided.

aso3
01-28-2004, 06:09 PM
I see! I tried it and it worked, thanks! It took some time but the result was what I wanted. Ok then, the first 4 steps are done now, but now the final one. After tripling, smoothing and rasterizing I want to save that parts into seperated 3DS files, like this
map_0_0.3ds
map_0_1.3ds
map_0_2.3ds
.. etc... a total of 2500(:eek: ) files
How to loop through all this different parts and export them??

Greetings,
Rick