PDA

View Full Version : Watch out for the Virus!

ted
01-27-2004, 01:19 PM
I've gotten 7 e-mails with the new virus.
Protect yourself my friends!!!:eek:
So far I've dodged the bullet.

Meaty
01-27-2004, 01:28 PM
only 7???? pffttt.... =]

seriously i must have gotten it my email 30 or so times... it is killing email travel speed. be careful!

Beamtracer
01-27-2004, 02:11 PM
You forgot to mention that Macintosh computers are immune from this virus.

Recent statistics indicate that so far there are no viruses that directly infect Mac OS X itself.

Microsoft Word is the most virus riddled computer program in existence. Most of these viruses propagate via Outlook Express (should that be renamed "Virus Express"?)

Two alternatives:
Get a Mac
or
Get a virus!

ted
01-27-2004, 03:52 PM
Virus Express! I like that one.:D

I used to own a few Macs. Then I got serious!;)

You all gotta read the Joke thread about "Computers, If your car ran like a PC".

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=120635#post120635

4 More viruses received. I guess that means at least 11 of my friends now have the Virus and are spreading it.:eek:
Computer Condoms?

Aegis
01-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Two alternatives:
Get a Mac
or
Get a virus!

Or get a free Virus Checker from www.grisoft.com

C'mon Beam you're getting desparate - besides, rumour has it that Mac LightWave users don't need a virus to crash their computers - just the latest version of Mac OS ;)

Beamtracer
01-27-2004, 07:00 PM
When will Microsoft make their OS more secure from viruses like this?

These are not "computer viruses". They're Windows viruses.

UnCommonGrafx
01-27-2004, 07:14 PM
Exactly, Beam,
Not a pc problem, just an OS issue and the the anger some feel toward the richest man on earth. :shrug:

Now, let's not get into a flame war over motherboards and the like. It's about us, not the box of rocks we call computers.

Whelkn
01-27-2004, 07:56 PM
can you get the virus just by opening the email??? I had a fishy email I opened at my netscape account not through outlook? should I be worried.

Jeremy

Aegis
01-28-2004, 04:59 AM
This new virus is a DOS executable sent as an attachment - if you don't run it you won't catch it. The only virus my computer's ever picked up is the Blaster which you could get just by being connected to the Internet without a firewall (I once made the mistake of reinstalling Windows with the cable modem still plugged in). There are numerous tools available to remove Blaster and Microsoft issue an update to fix the vulnerabilty.

The biggest problem with viruses is unfortunately the users - if you have an up-to-date virus checker and a firewall then your computer is pretty secure - if however you open attachments without knowing where they came from then nothing can help you...

Turner
01-28-2004, 10:23 AM
The virus doesn't seem so bad!

Heck, it was over last evening and helped us move the fridge out so we could clean behind it.

I offered it some Mac but it said it was already full.

Whelkn
01-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Well I didnt open any attactments---- I just opened the messege because it resembled one I was expecting. Now I keep getting lots of emails at that address from norton anti virus?

Jeremy

Meaty
01-28-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Whelkn
Well I didnt open any attactments---- I just opened the messege because it resembled one I was expecting. Now I keep getting lots of emails at that address from norton anti virus?

Jeremy

it is probably spoofing the address it is from, i doubt norton is sending you viruses... directly ;)

respond to the email and say "This is my BOOM STICK!!!!"

modent
01-28-2004, 01:39 PM
You ever notice when PC people people attempt to Mac bash its broad and unscientific like "if it was a car....." or "...not a real computer" kinda like GWB talking about WMD. Most of these people are still holding mac up against the non-protected memory OS 9 and later Mac. They never come off like they know anything about computers. I use both and there are benifits of each but I do spend about 90% of the time on the Mac.

art
01-28-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer

Two alternatives:
Get a Mac
or
Get a virus!

Or get something other than outlook/outlook express.

I use eudora (pegasus is another alternative) and it is quite immune to all those email spreading virues (and I do not have to "wait while it exits" when I close it, like the case is often with outlook)

Unless your life depends on undisputably better outlook address book and calendar, try the free version of eudora.

I am guessing that if macs were the majority of the computers out there and virus makers concentrated on macs rather than windows, we could see a lot more of mac viruses. Im not an virus/os expert, and perhaps mas os is less open to various exploits, but i'm GUESSING that vulnerabilities would be found/exploited on macs if as much "research" was put into it as it is put into hacking windows machines.

Rei
02-01-2004, 07:13 AM
Linux :D

Freak
02-03-2004, 12:04 AM
There have been virus's on Macs before..... (not sure about OSX)
since as far back as 1981/1982. on Apple II's

I use Outlook express, (havn't used Eudora since outlook arrived)

But really how dumb must you be to get a Virus these days?
I didn't even run a Virus scanner til this year, I don't open Email attachments, that i'm not expecting.... ( Outlook won't let me open attachments, unless i ask it especially for permission) You really must be a complete wanker to get one.

But really when 90% of the worlds computers run Windows,
then obviously, Windows will be the target for Virus makers.
(i'd guess Symantec makes around 40% of the virus's around anyway, so they can sell NAV)

MyDoom also targeted SCO........
And Linux is getting more Virus's now
(Microsoft and Symantec most likely make those ones! :)

I can't agree here with Beam, you might not get a virus with a Mac..... But really the whole OS is a virus, just ask anyone who is developing applications for Macs these days. (Newtek for one!)

Developers like Steinberg, Newtek, A/W, Adobe........ Developers really seem to dislike OSX and Panther very much, and customers of those Mac software even less so at the moment. (because nothing works on it)

Macs are great if you like expensive hardware and troublesome software, that is usually released 2 years behind the PC versions, (if at all) but they are impressive to talk about with the cafe latte crowd..

Bill gates recently made a very good point, (i know that is a surprise) Windows is more likely much more secure than MacOS...... Because it gets tested on it's security daily, which in the long run can only make it safer and more secure for it's users.......

MS has spent an awful lot of time and money, developing safer more secure software in the last few years, but it will never be fool proof.....

So when people do decide to attack Macs..... How well will they handle it! (i'd guess about as well as they handle anything else)

:)

Beamtracer
02-03-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by Freak
But really when 90% of the worlds computers run Windows,
then obviously, Windows will be the target for Virus makers.
It's often stated that viruses hit Windows more often because there are more Windows machines out there. But there is more to it.

There are reasons why the UNIX based operating systems (that includes Mac OS X, Linux, Irix) are much more secure than Windows. If you want to know why, read this:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/34554.html

It's possible that the next major release of Windows (code named Longhorn) will be more secure. It seems MS is doing some major rewriting of it, which maybe why the release date keeps slipping into the wild blue yonder (2008, 2009...)

Beamtracer
02-03-2004, 03:07 AM

Freak
02-03-2004, 06:40 PM
Yeah you are right Beam, there are a few reasons as to Why Macs are safer, but still not safe......

I assure you, if Macs had 50% market share, there would be many, many more Virus's on macs......

Yeah Longhorn....... I can't say i really care when MS release there next Virus (I mean OS) either :)

Either way, it's the user that allows Virus's and not really the OS.
And it seems all OS, have there fair share of stupid users...
Although Windows most certainly has the most...

:)

Beamtracer
02-03-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by Freak
I assure you, if Macs had 50% market share, there would be many, many more Virus's on macs...... Don't forget that Mac OS X is a whole new platform and has nothing to do with the old MacOS.

Mac OS X is basically UNIX with a Mac interface on top. UNIX has been around for a long time. It's code is available in the public domain for everyone to see. Much of Mac OS X is also based on the open source Darwin project. A virus writer has all the information laid out in front of him if he wants to study the vulnerabilities.

Microsoft doesn't allow people to study its code, which is all kept secret. I wonder if the motivation of most virus authors is purely to launch an attack on Microsoft?

The latest MyDoom virus has just knocked out the SCO website. A coincidence? SCO is a company aligned with Microsoft in a legal campaign against Linux. I hear the MyDoom virus is also attacking the MS website, though it still seems to be standing.

dfc
02-04-2004, 09:33 AM
Yes, Microsoft says theses viruses are actually making Windows more secure...by testing the system constantly. (hehehe).

That Apple is not nearly as secure because they haven't been tested by such things as much.

Gime a break.

I'm sure, there is some truth to the fact that many of the people who focus on PC's for viruses do so becasue of the vast number of them out there. But, then, I would think the "other" reason for that is because ..well..they can..and it evidently is not very hard to do.

Next thing you know, people will be telling us..that a mac is not a "real" computer because it doens't have viruses.. And MS will be marketing it's virus vunerablity as a "feature". The greatest "interapplication" functionality of any OS.