PDA

View Full Version : AMD Purchase Question

rzick
01-27-2004, 01:17 PM
We are planning on buying or building a new system soon. We use our machine for both Lightwave and VT[3].

AMD just released the ATHLON64 3400 processor, which has been getting very good reviews. It also has the SSE2 extensions, which in the past have played a part in the decision against AMD processors with Toaster 3.

Here is one of the recent reviews on Anandtech -
http://www.anandtech.com/cpu/showdoc.html?i=1946&p=1

Has anybody tested VT[3] with this processor?
Does anybody know of any drawbacks with this approach?

Also, are there any recomendations for video cards in the $200 - $300 range?

Robert Zick
FN Program
WTBTS
Brooklyn, NY

tw video
01-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Well as far as the AMD is concerned, i really dont know. the new 64 chips are relitively new and i dont have much experience with them. i have been building hign end AMD based gaming systems all my life and have had good sucess in the past. the new 64 chips might take advantage of the new VT features but i havent heard anything. as long as you meet the minimum requirements with the AMD chip, i know it will work, but to what extent im not sure. i believe i read somewhere on this board that a guy build a AMD system that worked, but it just couldnt do "real time" as good as the INTEL systems. the toaster has to use the MMX script...thus not allowing it to reach it true speed.

As far as your video is concerned, i would recomend a GeForce4 TI4800SE...128DDR 8XAGP dvi and vga...for about $160....
check it out here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-163&catalog=48&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

also IF you wanted to go with a more "flashy" card, and take the "FX leap" as i call it (not a big fan of the fx line) you can go with a GeForce FX 5700...256DDR...8X...DVI...vga...etc... just under $200
check that out here http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-121-163&catalog=48&manufactory=BROWSE&depa=1

The key is choosing a video card that your board will optimize...i say dont go with anything less than a standard 8X AGP....AGP Pro if you can find one. Its a little more, but worth it in the long run.

About to build a new VT system myself....DUAL XEON 2.8 with 533 on the front, 2gig DDR ram, VT3 card, GForce3, and some other goodies....

SBowie
01-29-2004, 08:39 AM
Originally posted by tw video
also IF you wanted to go with a more "flashy" card, and take the "FX leap" as i call it (not a big fan of the fx line) you can go with a GeForce FX 5700...256DDR...8X...DVI...vga...etc... just under $200 Just to note that this card has a HUGE heat sink on the underside that nearly blocks the PCI slot right under it.

Lightwolf
01-29-2004, 09:09 AM
I'd skip the 5700 and go for the 5900XT, same price but a lot faster...
Cheers
Mike

tw video
01-29-2004, 02:03 PM
i agree about the heatsink.
although it is huge, it helps....
you should plan to leave the pci slot under the AGP slot oven anyway...helps alot with airflow and cooling.
the new cards give off ALOT of heat and keeping your toaster nice and "icey" is a very big part of performance

bradl
01-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by rzick
We are planning on buying or building a new system ...AMD just released the ATHLON64 3400 processor Robert if you do build this system please report back here and let us know how it performs. Do you have VT3 experience now to judge it by? Are you considering SATA Raid?

SBowie
01-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by tw video
i agree about the heatsink.
although it is huge, it helps....
you should plan to leave the pci slot under the AGP slot oven anyway...helps alot with airflow and cooling.
the new cards give off ALOT of heat and keeping your toaster nice and "icey" is a very big part of performance Yup, that would be nice - but on the XD5A8 you've only got 2 32 bit PCI slots, right under the AGP. If you put the Toaster card in the second one down, it's a very tight squeeze to fit a DV card above it below the AGP slot with the big heat sink.

Possible solutions would include: putting the VT card in a 64bit slot (never gotten this to work yet!), a 64bit DV card (a bit hard to find, but do-able).

Aegis
01-30-2004, 04:50 PM
putting the VT card in a 64bit slot (never gotten this to work yet!)

I've got the 'Toaster sat in a 64-bit PCI slot and it seems just fine (I wanted to keep it away from my overclocked GeForceFX 5700 Ultra :D)

SBowie
02-01-2004, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by Aegis
I've got the 'Toaster sat in a 64-bit PCI slot and it seems just fine (I wanted to keep it away from my overclocked GeForceFX 5700 Ultra :D) Did you have to make any BIOS or other adjustments? I tried this with a brand new '64-bit compatable' Toaster card this last week and failed. Tech Support was straightforwardly not very encouraging (which is fine- better to be honest than evasive), and I took that to mean it was iffy at best.

Aegis
02-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Umm... nope :) I wasn't aware there were any potential problems so I just slapped it in there - been behaving itself just fine ever since. It's a pretty old VideoToaster NT board too...

Using a SuperMicro X5DAL-TG2 motherboard (PCI 32/64 bit + PCI-X).

Videolink
02-05-2004, 08:29 AM
If you are going with a new video card, definitely go with the GForce FX series.
The 128M FX5200 is under$100.00 and as for the bigger chipsets, go as high as you can afford, you will be happy you did.

As to the heatsink issue, we have found the MSI version of these cards have low profile side ejecting fans, however it is prudent to leave the next slot open regardless for good air flow.

AMD? we will see...we are currently building an Opteron VT,
stay tuned.........

SBowie
02-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Videolink
The 128M FX5200 is under$100.00 and as for the bigger chipsets, go as high as you can afford, you will be happy you did. Just a note that several have fairly recently reported issues with the 5200 on other forums, specifically at 1280X1024 -- which if true could be a problem with the VT[3], which requires that as a minimum res.

Though I have not seen the problem myself, I'm steering clear of it until the situation is clear. It may simply be a driver issue. The VT[3] I just delivered had a 256meg 5700 and it worked very nicely.

Videolink
02-05-2004, 11:27 AM
Maybe it was configuration issues, or different manufacturers as many card makers use that chipset, or lack of newest drivers.
however,
Out of 7 systems with the FX5200 that we have shipped,
we have had no issues at all,
and we are now using the 256M FX5900.
I had thought the poster before was looking for inexpensive solutions.

SBowie
02-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Could well be, as I said initially. nVidia usually gets things right, with the occasional lapse.

And -- nothing wrong with "inexpensive" when it works well, or 'well enough for the task at hand.' We call that "value" ... cheap is another matter.