PDA

View Full Version : Strait knife tool (vertical & horizontal)

Noclar7
01-27-2004, 12:39 PM
This could probably be implemeted into the current knife tool fairly easily (assuming :) )

I constanly find myself using the knife tool and having to make a long extensive stretch of it to make it perfectly strait so I can cut strait. I realise I could input cordinates in the numeric panel, but that is also a extra couple steps.

So, with that said, I think it would be cool to have strait horizontal,vertical, or 45degree, knife for common tasks.

err, wait, just let me check the manual for a sec, because maybe a constraint key would be more practical. ie Hold Ctrl to snap.
hmmm knife tool, 25.12,.. no snap.

I belive that would do the trick then. A simple snap function for the knife tool.

Regards,
RJ

mkiii
01-27-2004, 12:56 PM
The knife tool does snap horizontally or vertically with the Ctrl key.

Either Position the start accurately by eye, drag out then CTRL+Left-Click on the other end, and it will snap into line with the first point...

...Or just CTRL+Drag the whole thing.

It doesn't work on 45deg angles tho, for that, you can easily drag the tool out by eye using the grid as reference (or turn on the grid-snap), then move the entire tool into position by dragging it near it's midpoint.

Matt
01-27-2004, 12:59 PM
try holding down the CTRL key _before_ you drag a cut out, it will be H or V.

I still wish the constraint key (CTRL) would constraint when pressed, and 'un-constraint' when not, instead of having to hold down before you use the tool you want to constrain.

being able to edit angles to snap to would be handy too.

doh: post while posting!!! :)

Noclar7
01-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Matt
try holding down the CTRL key _before_ you drag a cut out, it will be H or V.

hmm,I was waiting till afterwards,.. Im soo newb