PDA

View Full Version : LW8 Surface Editor?

HowardM
01-27-2004, 08:59 AM
Are there any updates to the Surface Editor?

Is the layering system more robust, for instance can I make 'Folders" of layers for easier grouping and manipulation?
Can I even name layers?

Any chance it will be nodal so you can mix and match different groups of surfaces?

Thanks!

samartin
01-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Nice one to bring this up, I have forgotten about this. Even the spreadsheet it seems can be used to make changes to surfaces, I hope demo's of this will appear soon. Even lil' things like applying shaders or not via the spreadsheet would be great...

I've had the instance of going through and ticking SuperCelShader off about 25x which is a major pain in the butt...

Sorry to hijack from the original question but I did think it was appropriate to ask this here...

HowardM
01-27-2004, 09:13 AM
yeah well Im a little worried with the demos lately...
If there was big news like node based SE, I think we would of heard about it? unless NT loves to save the best for last?
I can only pray.

As of now Layers are simple, where you should have much more control...yes its great to have one ALPHA layer on top of a Procedural, with another Procedural acting as a Texture Displacement below it to tweak things...but thats the limit...
What if I need to then mix 3 or 4 clusters of these? Not easy.
Or even simply copy/paste of layers , as of now its all or one, not a few...very painful, and seems to me very NOT tested by a user?

Kvaalen
01-27-2004, 10:47 AM
You can see a screen shot on the LightWave [8] feature page of the surface editor. Nothing new (even the "multi selections of textures editor layer for copy/paste function" existed already). I know you can't really tell if anything has been done to it since you don't see the texture editor or anything but I don't think there is anything new. :(

I am hoping for a node based texture editor, but in the mean time I'd be glad to be able to create groups and have the layer above apply to all the group instead of just the layer underneath (the way it is now). I'd also like it if we could rename layers as you suggested. It would also be nice if we could add a little comment at the bottom of each layer in the texture editor.

HowardM
01-27-2004, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Kvaalen

I am hoping for a node based texture editor, but in the mean time I'd be glad to be able to create groups and have the layer above apply to all the group instead of just the layer underneath (the way it is now). I'd also like it if we could rename layers as you suggested. It would also be nice if we could add a little comment at the bottom of each layer in the texture editor.

yep, I would love to be able to tell a layer what groups of layers it affects, how many layers, even when it does (envelopable)

please guys, more controls!

and yeah, naming layers would help....its easy to get lost in layers and not remember exactly what each one is doing when loaded at a later time.....especially when you have 10 of the same procedural!

takkun
01-27-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
Are there any updates to the Surface Editor?

Is the layering system more robust, for instance can I make 'Folders" of layers for easier grouping and manipulation?
Can I even name layers?

Any chance it will be nodal so you can mix and match different groups of surfaces?

Thanks! Do you really think that they would leave that out of the features list? Instead of asking questions that you already know the answer to, just post these things in the feature requests board and email it to newtek. These are good ideas, by the way.

HowardM
01-27-2004, 01:18 PM
Well lets see, werent we told by Chuck and Proton that the feature list wasnt complete and would be updated........I have no answer to this until I hear it from them.

And if the list up on the site is the final list then damn....

takkun
01-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Well lets see, werent we told by Chuck and Proton that the feature list wasnt complete and would be updated........I have no answer to this until I hear it from them. Common sense bud, it's probably just little things. It wouldn't make much sense to leave out big features, now would it?

HowardM
01-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by takkun
Common sense bud, it's probably just little things. It wouldn't make much sense to leave out big features, now would it?

It wouldnt make much sense to set a release date then miss it, then take weeks for an uncomplete feature list now either would it?

Common sense bud...is that NT took forever to release a feature list that is missing MANY things, still have no software release date, and said that the FEATURE LIST WILL BE UPDATED....so forgive me for assuming that its incomplete, and assuming that LW8 wont be out for months, so they still have time for those BIG features...

Stop being a "*****" takkun, and give some input to the post.
Its a simple question that you seem to want to turn into something.....why?

takkun
01-27-2004, 02:38 PM
It wouldnt make much sense to set a release date then miss it. Happens all the time. It's the nature of software development.

HowardM
01-27-2004, 02:47 PM
I asked a simple Q, you feel the need to police me.

Understandable, considering my posting last month....but not from this one....and who are you to police my post?

So, just drop it before you start it? ok?

Thanks.

I emailed Chuck and Proton, and believe me this will be in the feature requests...but what I dont understand, is if the programmers use the software, why didnt they realize these requests are needed?
I mean ANYONE who has touched the layer system in LW, after 5 minutes must realize the need for names, folders, more control....etc...dont you?
well, in my opinion, they arent using the software like us users.
and thats a problem...

Castius
01-27-2004, 02:48 PM
To get back on track.
I very much agree but very much dought they could have been fixed for 8. What I hope to see in the future will be a textureing system that is LWs layering system (with some small changes) combined with a node based system. Because personly i'm not in favore of a completly nodes based system. I find them powerfull but frustrating at times for certain tasks. this is why a proper combined system woudl be better than anyone one else has.
in the mean time there are third party alternatives. 8)

Scott

HowardM
01-27-2004, 02:56 PM
yeah, of course we wont get nodes this time around, but I see no reason why AT LEAST a small Layer update cant be done for 8, how simple is it to add the ability to change a layer name or group layers!?

I just dont think they are using the software like a user!
:(...otherwise they would of thought of these SIMPLE things themselves and even INSISTED these features be added!

takkun
01-27-2004, 03:07 PM
I asked a simple Q, you feel the need to police me.

Understandable, considering my posting last month....but not from this one....and who are you to police my post?

So, just drop it before you start it? ok?

Thanks. I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not trying to police you, whatever that means. Look, all I said is that you have some good ideas and that it doesn't make sense to think that it's in version 8 and they didn't mention it. In the meantime, you've managed to call me an ******* or something and insult the programmers (huh, ******* wasn't asterisked out, it must've been something worse :) ). Same old howard.

Castius
01-27-2004, 03:26 PM
laa laaa la la la laa

name that tune.

HowardM
01-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by takkun
I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not trying to police you, whatever that means. Look, all I said is that you have some good ideas and that it doesn't make sense to think that it's in version 8 and they didn't mention it. In the meantime, you've managed to call me an ******* or something and insult the programmers (huh, ******* wasn't asterisked out, it must've been something worse :) ). Same old howard.

woa woa woa,

I called you a prick if you really need to know, and you are being one.

you didnt JUST say i have good ideas and it doesnt make sense to ask about Surface Editor in 8...dont act so innocent!

the only reason behind your answer was to police me, to tell me why ask a stupid question and just post it to feature requests for 9!

you insulted ME twice - first by asking how stupid am I to think they would leave it out of an incomplete list and then telling me to post it to NT and Feature Requests , and then second you implied I dont have common sense when I ask the Question!
And then you further the bull**** when you say, same old Howard, blah blah blah.

Go **** yourself Takkun.
^^^^
and if you must know thats not '*******'

Anyway, just drop it...thats all I asked...but of course you have to continue on and make it look like Im the bad guy.....well Im not.
Im just not going to sit back and let you be an *** to me....so If im bad now...oh well, your perception.

If Im wrong, hey Im wrong...but sure as hell seems to me the only reason you answered was to be a punk!

anyway, I dont care anymore enough to fight this ****...
so just drop it...if you cant answer the post, leave it alone.

takkun
01-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by Castius
laa laaa la la la laa

name that tune. It's gotta be the smurfs theme! :)

cresshead
01-27-2004, 03:54 PM
keep cool !

some posters here take great delight in upsetting others for their own [other apps...competitors etc] reasons...try not to bite if you can.

maybe they want to try n convert this forum into a place where people argue and insult each other so that the users go off n buy "their software" and browse their forums instead..of course some apps need to be released and have a forum to do this rather than vapourware advertising.

s'pose this will perpetuate the thing but well...i had to be said.

takkun
01-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by HowardM
woa woa woa,

I called you a prick if you really need to know, and you are being one.

you didnt JUST say i have good ideas and it doesnt make sense to ask about Surface Editor in 8...dont act so innocent!

the only reason behind your answer was to police me, to tell me why ask a stupid question and just post it to feature requests for 9!

you insulted ME twice - first by asking how stupid am I to think they would leave it out of an incomplete list and then telling me to post it to NT and Feature Requests , and then second you implied I dont have common sense when I ask the Question!
And then you further the bull**** when you say, same old Howard, blah blah blah.

Go **** yourself Takkun.
^^^^
and if you must know thats not '*******'

Anyway, just drop it...thats all I asked...but of course you have to continue on and make it look like Im the bad guy.....well Im not.
Im just not going to sit back and let you be an *** to me....so If im bad now...oh well, your perception.

If Im wrong, hey Im wrong...but sure as hell seems to me the only reason you answered was to be a punk!

anyway, I dont care anymore enough to fight this ****...
so just drop it...if you cant answer the post, leave it alone. Howard, grow up. If you can't have a conversation without calling people pricks and telling them to f*ck themselves, then how can anyone take you seriously?

I'm done here, have a good one Howard. (I mean that, really)

HowardM
01-27-2004, 04:11 PM
yawn.

take care.

Paul Lara
01-27-2004, 04:32 PM
::SIGH::

This thread has gone from a simple question to a sillier flame war, which is why the thread is now closed.

Please forward your most desired requests along to NewTek in an e-mail.