PDA

View Full Version : Dongle question

wp_capozzi
01-27-2004, 01:03 AM
I still use my parallel port dongle from Lightwave version 4. Are there any issues with using this dongle with LW 8?

I thought I read somewhere that DFX+ can only use a USB dongle. I haven't upgraded to LW 8 yet and am wondering if I would have to upgrade my dongle as well to be fully compatible with DFX+ and LW 8.

Also, I have a number of plugins that are tied to my parallel dongle. If required, how do I make the transfer to a new USB dongle without losing my valuable plugins?

Thanks in advance,
Bill C.
www.dedicateddigital.com

BeeVee
01-27-2004, 03:00 AM
Yes, a parallel dongle will continue to work with LightWave 8 with no trouble. I'm not sure about DFX+, but I have a feeling you are right and you do need to have a USB dongle. The procedure is that you pay an upgrade fee of 55 in Europe and send us your parallel dongle and we send you back a new USB one. You will need to reregister to update your license.key, and I've found that all the plug-in developers I've dealt with over similar issues are very quick to respond. Some send me an email to confirm that I have upgraded a dongle, some don't but either way, the length of time without a dongle or license.key for LightWave and plug-ins is kept to a minimum.

B

retinajoy
01-27-2004, 03:17 AM
I am still using a parallel port dongle and DFX+ works fine on my computer along with Lightwave 7.5

I think I heard (rumours) that earlier releases of DFX+ in the offer had issues, but I got my DFX+ LW8 upgrade offer in September. As I said it works fine.

BeeVee
01-27-2004, 03:34 AM
Cool. Thanks for the info Retinajoy!

B

hrgiger
01-27-2004, 05:18 AM
I just ordered my new USB dongle. I was selling my sasquatch and to do that I had to get a new dongle number anyway. It will cost you roughly $30 plus tax although, I was told by Newtek that if you order it at the same time as your Lightwave 8 upgrade, it would be free.

jevinstudios
01-27-2004, 05:59 AM
Just as they said above, very easy to do, and inexpensive, too! The only plug-in manufacturer that was NOT helpful when I switched, tho, was Dynamic Realities -- they would not call me back, answer my emails, or give me new unlock keys for my LightWave plug-ins. Was very disappointed, as my Dynamic Realities plug-ins all got thrown in the trash as a result (and I will never buy from them again!!!!!!). A warning.....

cresshead
01-27-2004, 06:31 AM
re commercial plugins..that's the pain you go thru....i've had plugins for max that when max upped to the next version the plugin mkaker went out of the max market n left me hi n dry!

seems strange that dynamic realities refuse to reply to you though...

i'm trying to get by with out any commercial plugins except for the absolutly ness ones for lightwave.

the only plugs i have are for 3ds max 4 currently [character studio, final render, matterwaves, head designer] and all of those manufactureres have great support for users.