PDA

View Full Version : PROTON - Dynamics question still not answered

agrippa
01-26-2004, 05:10 PM
So, first off...LW8 is really shaping up nicely.

Regarding the new dynamics engine...will there be controls for breaking up (shattering) a single object with LW? Unlike the exploding dog demo where the "bits" were actually still "whole" objects. Or will you still need to use something like C4 to "pre-break" an object (ie an asteroid, part of a building, a pesky gopher, etc), then animate the whole thing with the dynamics engine?

Also, what's up with LW on the G5...lots of pee cee screens but zippo for the Mac...will LW8 run on the G5 under Panther? INFO MAN!!!

thx

agrippa

Meshbuilder
01-26-2004, 05:24 PM
You can do what you are asking for in LW8. I saw that on a video from Siggraph.
I don't know how much control you have but in this picture it look like you have Weight, Resistance and Size control over the parts in per cent of the original object..

http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/8/images/hard-body-dynamics.jpg

agrippa
01-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I saw that image, but the actual video is nowhere to be found. In fact, that image is the on the page that launches the "exploding dog" video...Still, there's no explanation of how they got to that point, what controls (if any) are available, etc. So thanks for the reply, but it still doesn't answer any of the questions.

agrippa

cresshead
01-26-2004, 05:33 PM
i believe that how it determines where to break is based off of select connnected in that if you select a poly and then go select connected that would be one part of the object...so a robot made of many parts in one layer would break apart via the bits that make up the robot as separate bits...
poorly explainned i know but that's how i understand this works......

proton can you confim this?

WilliamVaughan
01-26-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by agrippa

Also, what's up with LW on the G5...lots of pee cee screens but zippo for the Mac...will LW8 run on the G5 under Panther? INFO MAN!!!

thx

agrippa

We demod LightWave Eight on a G5 running panther at Mac World. The screengrabs are PC cuz that is teh system that I work on to do teh screen grabs and thatis what I have at home to do videos. :)

WilliamVaughan
01-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by agrippa

Regarding the new dynamics engine...will there be controls for breaking up (shattering) a single object with LW? Unlike the exploding dog demo where the "bits" were actually still "whole" objects. Or will you still need to use something like C4 to "pre-break" an object (ie an asteroid, part of a building, a pesky gopher, etc), then animate the whole thing with the dynamics engine?

agrippa

You can choose 1 Piece, or parts for Hard Body....I'm not sure what C4 is all about so I can't comment on that.

More videos and tutorials will be out and maybe that will help answer your questions.....

WilliamVaughan
01-26-2004, 06:00 PM
That demo example was shown at Siggraph over and over.... :)

agrippa
01-26-2004, 06:16 PM
So apparently I am the ONLY one who hasn't seen it. Any chance of posting it or emailing it to me?

C4 is an lscript that shatters an object and gives it volume. Say you have a sphere, you run C4 on it, and it shatters the object. Parameters allow for nuber of "pieces" auto naming of new surfaces, etc. The companion plugin C4: Detonate, blows it up.

I've attatched an image of a simple ball that I ran C4 on, using 16 as the number of pieces. Then brought it into Layout and used C4: Detonate, to blow it apart.

agrippa

nixx
01-26-2004, 06:45 PM
Hi agrippa,

I 'm the one who wrote the C4:Explode lscript for modeler, and for what it's worth, I 'm waiting for 8 to come out to release an updated version. I need to see 8's dynamics in person so I can fine tune C4 to work best with that.
The update will, among other things, provide an alternative, non-recursive way of shattering objects. I have a good chunk of code already written and ready to go in, but like I said... I need to know how LW8 works first.

Oh, and Proton... You should know what C4 is all about... you know what I mean ;)

nick

WilliamVaughan
01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
I havent had time to use it so I can't say I know it :)

takkun
01-26-2004, 09:08 PM
I really like the crackit script ( http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1622 ).

Never used C4 before, I'm guessing it does the same thing.

Proton, these scripts break up a model into realistic chunks or shards, so that if you were to apply dynamics to, for example, a priceless ming-dynasty chinese vase and dropped it, you could make it look like it shattered into little shards when it hit the floor.

Hervé
01-26-2004, 11:36 PM
I think (sure) you'll have to pre-brake your objects before in modeler, coz if you let the app doing so, it will leave the insid cut parts un'textured..... and I guess you dont want that.... imagine a old cement wall, you break it, how's the inside...?

Fausto
01-27-2004, 12:12 AM

Here we go again!!

bewildered.

HowardM
01-27-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by nixx
Hi agrippa,

I 'm the one who wrote the C4:Explode lscript for modeler, and for what it's worth, I 'm waiting for 8 to come out to release an updated version. I need to see 8's dynamics in person so I can fine tune C4 to work best with that.
The update will, among other things, provide an alternative, non-recursive way of shattering objects. I have a good chunk of code already written and ready to go in, but like I said... I need to know how LW8 works first.

Oh, and Proton... You should know what C4 is all about... you know what I mean ;)

nick

Thanks Nick!
Any chance you can program Procedural control over the breaking of an object? Havent played with C4 or CrackIt lately, so I cant remember if you can ONLY break objects randomly? Still thats pre braking, I think we all want realtime (precalculated) collision detection/breaking in layout.

Proton - I think what alot of us want is the ability to lets say take a wall, smash it with a ball towards the bottom, and actually have the cracking of the wall rise upward like a shockwave...onle large break with forked branches, that spawn smaller breaks, etc...then the wall collapses on its self.

Ok ok, sounds like a lot of programming, but come on, we can use PFX and child emitters to do 'vines' like Splinegod or fireworks with trails like I have in a similar fashion.... we can do things like this now with textures and alphas, and envelopes, morphs...etc, ...so i cant imagine it would be that tough to 'fake' with programming.

hopefully Ive planted a seed in your minds!
:)

Thanks!

Tesselator
01-27-2004, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
Thanks Nick!

hopefully Ive planted a seed in your minds!

Oh Noooo, Now I'll have growths. :D

but all seriousness aside, there are plenty of ways to do this
and some of your good ideas touch on them. Nice ideas
Howard. Cool post. :)

HowardM
01-27-2004, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by Tesselator
Oh Noooo, Now I'll have growths. :D

but all seriousness aside, there are plenty of ways to do this
and some of your good ideas touch on them. Nice ideas
Howard. Cool post. :)

Thanks,

hmm, thats a cool image, a topless head with a brain with trees/plants growing out of it? MY IDEA MY IDEA, no one steal it...precccccioussssss....:)

so what are the plenty of ways to do this, you mean speculation programming wise, not ways to do it now in 7.5 or 8?

nixx
01-27-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by HowardM
Thanks Nick!
Any chance you can program Procedural control over the breaking of an object? Havent played with C4 or CrackIt lately, so I cant remember if you can ONLY break objects randomly?

I 'm looking into ways to give more control over the shattering process. Indeed, right now it's basically random, but I want to change that :) I can't promise anything (C4 development, as much as I love it, isn't my "day job") but I 'm definitely looking into it and I have some ideas I 'll be trying.

nick

HowardM
01-27-2004, 10:11 AM
Thanks Nick!

Maybe talk to Powel Olas and rack his brain about how he makes Trees with Tree designer...that could be a great start for forking branched cracks.

What about using procedural textures to drive the cracking over time....again if all this math can be done to make growing procedurals or pfx NOW in LW, then I cant imagine it impossible to do it for breaking objects semi realisitcally!

But again, we need this in Layout, interactive and realtime, not a modeler plugin....so listen up NT programmers! Please? :)

papou
01-27-2004, 02:49 PM
my BreakIt Script v2 is going to be release soon.
it's not a Layout plugin, it's not a exploder plugin but it's interactiv in modeler and fun to use for breaking parts...!
[1.8Mb/demovideo]: video demo (1.8Mb divx5.05) (http://mapage.noos.fr/webto/Files/break.avi)
a+

HowardM
01-27-2004, 02:51 PM
Thats cool!

Now please figure out how to procedurally break the object!

Castius
01-27-2004, 03:30 PM
papou that looks really nice.

duderender
01-27-2004, 03:42 PM
definitely looks way cool!