PDA

View Full Version : Boolean on subpatch?

gregsduncan
01-26-2004, 12:06 PM
Can anyone please tell me if you can boolean a subpatch? You can see I'm a modelling beginner just trying to do something fairly simple (!) like this bottle of Kouros eau de toilette (the spray version). My problem is that this is a subpatch model and I need to cut out a little square in the top (which is where the lid thing on the bottle goes down when you press it to make some spray come out!). What I need is shown in orange on the image. I've tried to boolean but won't do anything unless I unpatch first then boolean but that makes that polygon non-patchable again. If I Triple that polygon it goes nasty, but I can subpatch but then the square I boolean'd goes rounded! Is there a way? Do I need to make a new polygon and stick it together with some welding or something? The white bit to have the whole put in it is in its own layer at the moment.

Thank you all!

mattbolton
01-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Well, I'm not sure I completely understand your problem, but here is what I think you want to do.
To make sharp edges in a SubD object, you can do one of two things:

Modify the SubD weight map
Add more polys

In my example pictures, I chose to add more polys surrounding the opening.
Here is a screenshot of my test object with SubD turned on.

mattbolton
01-26-2004, 01:43 PM
And here is the non-SubD wireframe screen capture showing the extra geometry around the hole.

gregsduncan
01-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Thank you Matt for your time in replying and creating the model / doing the screen shots for me. I've learned a lot and will do what you say. Thanx again....:p