PDA

View Full Version : How to make object always render "in front" of others?

White Knight
01-26-2004, 06:52 AM
In Layout...

How do I make an object always render so it appears "in front" of other objects even when in 3d-space it is behind other objects?

/White Knight.

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2004, 07:03 AM
You don't; you composite for such an effect.

White Knight
01-26-2004, 07:09 AM
I compo-what? =o)

But... shouldn't it be an checkbox somewhere like "Always render in front" or something like that?

I have a notion I've seen that in another program.

UnCommonGrafx
01-26-2004, 07:19 AM
Then ya best be looking for that other program then! lol

Yeah, Compositing after the fact of rendering. Do a search on it and you'll find lots of info on the subject.

Tom Wood
01-26-2004, 09:36 AM
There is 'unseen by camera' so that an object in front of another will not be rendered. But it won't be placed behind the remaining objects. Not sure how that affects lighting though, but you can adjust for it if you have to.

HTH

TW

Crocodilian
01-28-2004, 10:57 AM
another strategy is to render your scene without your foreground object. . .use this rendered scene as a background for a second render pass.

There are complexities to the "always in foreground" problem. . . .do you wish this foreground object to cast shadows, for instance. . .

what is it that you are trying to do?

wingwalker
01-28-2004, 11:07 AM
See the post he's got going in WIP

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=17212

White Knight... Do you have after effects or premire?

Its realy not that difficult to do..if you need any help i'll be happy to give you a hand with the compositing.

Its more about organising your shots.

Rob T

UnCommonGrafx
01-28-2004, 11:08 AM
And if you don't you can always composite in lw; it's a pretty great compositor if you are willing to use it as such.

wingwalker
01-28-2004, 11:11 AM
Very good point UnCommonGrafx ....and since this is a lightwave forum.

sllink
01-29-2004, 07:54 AM
Interesting.

Couldnt this be done by just shooting the first part of the scene with everything (head and Body) then shoot the same scene again with just the head using the same scene file and composite the head over the body in the background.

meshmaster
01-29-2004, 10:18 AM
depends on your scene, and how close objects are to one another, etc... but you could just parent the thing to be in front to the camera... if it's a still image, you could use billboard type effects by making that thing that's getting parented to camera be on a flat plane.

White Knight
01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Whow loads of thanks for your brainstorming fellows.

However, I think I'll take the easy way out and simply move the head a little forward in 3D-space so that it still covers the body in the scenes that are shot from below.
It will of course not be 100% accurate proportions but hopefully not enough for anyone uninvolved to notice. ;o)

If that somehow does'nt work I'll take on your offer wingwalker.

Thanx all! =o)