PDA

View Full Version : VT and liner editing

RRMVT3
01-26-2004, 05:21 AM
How can we tune up VT 3 for line editing to avoid a jump of frame between the juncture?
I use VT 3 for CG Generator; player (Betacam) is connected up to VT video in and recorder (Betacam or DVCAM) to VT video out. They are controlled by external editing control unite through of RS-422 interface. Because of the delay of video signal frames are not being joined in VT 3.

I have a common VT 3 installed without gen lock.
Can this problem be solved by the installation of SX-8 or gen lock card?

Can I use VT3 for line editing?

bradl
01-26-2004, 08:45 AM
VT3 is not designed for such a purpose. The delay is 3 or 4 frames depending on options and setup. To use internal keying you would have to digitize your footage and edit in VT then output to tape.

We have VT's SDI out with Genlock feeding our Digital Production Switcher. We can use still frames, or moving animations, but there is no 422 control from an external control so it is limited. We basically lay off everything for the linear suite. We would never try to send signal through the VT for our linear suite.

Some day hopefully we will get full external support with Alpha out and VTR emulation. Other than laying off and syncing the Alpha, one work around for the lack of Alpha out is to place your animation over Blue or Green and Chroma-key it.

RRMVT3
01-27-2004, 12:03 AM
I get it, it is bad :(

Can I use VT3 internal Desk Controller for Line editing in TV3?

Can VT3 control 2 device (player and recorder) through 2 RS-422 (COM) computer or SX-8 port and compensate 3-4 frames different? I mean the recorder start recording with 3 frames delay regarding the player.

And on more. For what is the switcher made in VT?

RRMVT3
01-27-2004, 12:08 AM
Croma key is not good idea.
Can I use Alpha out in SX-8 and put CG or animation with Alpha with external DSK of Mixer to Video?

What use Alpha out without SX-8 ?

RRMVT3
01-27-2004, 07:36 AM
I stressed.

Today we bay sx-8 and I not can use Alpha out and not work synchronization (Genlock in).
1. Video is dragged (not synchro). I use Black Burst out from external videomixer and connect to VT Genlock in.
2. From Alpha out not be video signal (Alpha key)

My VT3 configuration Dual Xeon 2.8GHz, RAM 1Gb, HDD 120Gb, RAID-0 SCSI 130Gb + SX-8 BOB (without Genlock card)

Help me!

bradl
01-28-2004, 09:36 PM
Sounds like you need your dealer or a dealer near you to pay you a visit. You seem to have some mis-infomation that has lead you to confusion. Sorry for that. I will (and others - come on guys!) try to help you, but you really need to talk to someone at length it sounds like.

I will try to answer some of your questions here:

Can I use VT3 internal Desk Controller for Line editing in TV3?
There are four basic ways to control and use decks:
Deck Control Module - allows you to shuttle and control one external deck

Batch Capture Module - allows you to set up for batch capture of footage by Timecode reference and Reel names. You control one external deck and change tapes when prompted.

Print To Tape - Accessed from the 'File' dropdown menu in VTEdit. Allows you to lay off your project currently loaded on the Timeline. You choose the record mode for the external deck: Assembly, Insert, Audio or Video only and optionally TC

Firewire (1394)- You can control certain DV or analog decks and cameras that support Firewire control

Can VT3 control 2 device (player and recorder) through 2 RS-422 (COM) computer or SX-8 port and compensate 3-4 frames different? I mean the recorder start recording with 3 frames delay regarding the player. And on more. For what is the switcher made in VT?You can only control one external deck at a time via RS-232 to RS-422 connection. I don't have a SX-8 BOB, but from what I remember there are multiple 422 connections, but only one is active at a time. Again, the VT Switcher is not designed to be used as your main switcher in a Linear Editing setup with video from a deck feeding in and the output feeding a second deck. I guess you physically could do it, but because of the delay and other problems it is not recommended and I have never heard of anyone doing that.

VT Switcher is to be used for live events and as a signal switch for video you are capturing or processing for playback or editing with VTEdit.

Croma key is not good idea.
Can I use Alpha out in SX-8 and put CG or animation with Alpha with external DSK of Mixer to Video?If you had a good external Production switcher, the Chromakey could work very well on animations, logos and CG as you could put a pure 255 background of blue or green behind it, but it sounds like that is not an option for you.

The best way to use VT3 to key text, logos, etc. is to do it internally in VTEdit. The next best method would be to feed your video in to VT3, key your elements (using DSK or Key busses) and record the Switcher output to you internal Video Raid or an external deck. Internally, your elements will key perfectly and uses available alpha information in 32bit elements.

The last method to key things would be to feed the VT3 output to a external production switcher and key it there. It would be nice to be able to use the Alpha Out for this purpose, but that feature in not working and is for future use (clearly stated at the website and in all the manuals).

If you have to have alpha for external keying, I'm afraid your only choice is to extract the alpha portion using Aura or some other method and lay it off seperately and sync it up with your video portion on another tape at your external production switcher. Believe it or not, this is how millions of animations have been used in the past and are still done today at some of the top Post facilities today that do on-line linear editing. I occasionally do Video Tape (replays) for sports truck at NBA games and all the crazy animations they use arrive on tape with the video pass, then the alpha pass, that must be sync'ed up by the operator in the Elvis or Maverick.

What use Alpha out without SX-8 ?
As mention above, it is not enabled at this time.

Video is dragged (not synchro). I use Black Burst out from external videomixer and connect to VT Genlock in.Genlock in at the SX-8 or directly on the breakout cables does not funtion unless you have install the optional Genlock board. In other words connecting black burst or sync without the Genlock option does nothing.

I hope this has been helpful. The manual for VT3 is brand new and very informative and worth spending some time in as there are lots of aspects of the system to consider.

RRMVT3
02-04-2004, 01:37 AM
Thank You.
I'll try it.