PDA

View Full Version : Modeling tubular text (neon lighting)

TomBodet
01-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Anyone got a trick for doing a neon sign model?

Right now I've got the text I want with the font I'd like to represent in the background and I'm just bending a finely segmented disc into place and it's very frustrating.

TIA

js33
01-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Hi Tom,

I don't know what your letters look like but you could just lay out the pattern quickly with a spline curve(s) and then line up your disk and rail extrude it from your outline. Very easy, very quick.

If you need a tut just search for any using the rail extrude tool.

Cheers,
JS

TomBodet
01-25-2004, 09:48 PM
After searching some more for "bend" and weeding through the replies I found this one: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12070&highlight=bend

And tried the rail extrude. It works great except in tight bends. The tube gets 'pinched' in any moderate curve and at right angles it completely gets squeezed funny.

This looks like what I'm looking for, but need to figure out the oddity that's happening.

EDIT: Nevermind, it helps if you don't uncheck Oriented.

THANKS!

js33
01-26-2004, 02:20 AM
:)

Yeah you still may have to hand edit a few places but it should save you alot of time over the way you were trying to do it.

Cheers,
JS

JCG
01-26-2004, 01:22 PM
I think there was a free plugin by Pictrix that helped with those hard-to-get-right rail extrusions...