PDA

View Full Version : extrude problem

zecryan
01-25-2004, 07:23 PM
I am trying to make a small character with lightwave 7.5 (DUH!). First i start off with a box to shape of the torus/body. Then I make a small circle shape with the poly's on the side so i can extrude for the arms. everything looks fine but when i put on smothing or whatever it is called (the TAB button) cuase i cant think right now, the are are not connected to the rest of the body. is there anyway to extrude a keep it one objects

3dgirl
01-25-2004, 08:40 PM
so are you using 2 seperate objects for body and arms or are you smooth shifting the polygons on the side of the torso to form the arms? if you are using the first method then that's your problem- you should be doing it the second way.

if that's what you are doing already then maybe you had some polygons selected at the time that you hit tab (called "subpatching")? in that case only those polygons would have been subpatched causing things to look really weird...

just do it again, you probably just made some small mistake somewhere, using smotth shift on the torso should work, THEN hit tab.

zecryan
01-26-2004, 04:20 AM
I'm and not using 2 seperate object for the body and arm. i am try to extrude of the body but it is like it is make a new object and i did not think that the extrude did that. is there another tools i can use to extrude and create more mass while keep it 1 object.

mkiii
01-26-2004, 06:07 AM
That's just the way extrude works I'm afraid. If you delete the *original* polygon from the root of the arm & merge the points, all will be well. Extrude is meant for giving a 2d shape depth. Other options open to you (if I read you correctly), are to use Smooth Shift or just plain old Bevel (assuming you have just one poly).

Also, it sounds like the poly you are creating at the arm root has more than 4 polys, therefore, when you hit TAB, you get a warning, and the offending poly does not convert to a subdiv, making it appear to be separate from the rest of the polys. If you triple it, and try again, you should see that it is contigious.

zecryan
01-26-2004, 09:03 AM
Yea, now i remember the smooth shift tool, that was the type tool i was looking for. Thanks mkiii