PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave & Mars

outkast
01-25-2004, 07:13 PM
check out this video made in lightwave by Dan Maas

its amazing (most of you guys have probably seen this one)

http://www.maasdigital.com/mervideo-medium.html

Borosai
01-25-2004, 09:30 PM
I hadn't seen it...thanks for the link.

pauland
01-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Dan has done a stunning animation. Tha hairs go up on the back of my neck when I watch it - particularly the closing sequences.

Dan - if you're reading - could you tell us what music is used in the latter part of the animation, from the unfolding and first movement of the MER? The music is spot on.

Paul

outkast
01-26-2004, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by pauland
Dan has done a stunning animation. Tha hairs go up on the back of my neck when I watch it - particularly the closing sequences.

Dan - if you're reading - could you tell us what music is used in the latter part of the animation, from the unfolding and first movement of the MER? The music is spot on.

Paul

hi pauland ,

i was just thinking ,iff you would really like to get your hands on the music ,maybe you could log into a music community and place the link there...probably someone will be able to help you out or give you a push in the wright direction....like i said its just an idea:)

kind regards

outkast
01-26-2004, 09:56 AM
pauland check your pm

pauland
01-26-2004, 11:08 AM
Thanks Outkast!

Paul

lunarcamel
01-26-2004, 02:00 PM
Why did we spend $800 million for pictures of Mars? I think Dan came pretty close and probably for a lot less $$$ :)

outkast
01-28-2004, 08:47 AM
dan maas quote:

"In the Mars Rover animation, the following elements were rendered in PRMan:
- the planet Mars in the first shot after "7 months later"
- the airbags, dust, and flying rocks in the two "bouncing" shots
- everything in the shot where the airbags roll to a stop

The rest was rendered in Lightwave. (starfields by StarPro /plug... ). Everything was comped in my custom floating-point software.

In "Mars Dead or Alive," everything with the rover and parachutes is Lightwave, the rest is PRMan.

I am slowly moving all of my rendering to PRMan. This is to take advantage of programmable shaders and to get away from Lightwave's problematic anti-aliasing and motion blur. (currently I render all Lightwave shots at 2x resolution and rescale down). Also Lightwave's shadow map generation time is a significant rendering bottleneck for me (since shadow maps are generated once per AA pass, rather than once per frame as in PRMan).

I continue to use Lightwave for most of my modeling and animation, with very occasional use of Maya for special effects (e.g. particles).

I prefer LW 5.6 over 7.5 because of its snappier interface and more sensical menu layout. I will hopefully be able to move up to LW8 since it looks like Newtek has addressed the issues that bothered me in 6-7.5.
"

skippy
01-28-2004, 12:56 PM
the music was "Mars, Bringer of War" from Gustav Holst "The Planets."

I'd really love to know how he got such accurate physical behavior, from the bounces, to the subtle, but very realistic MER stearing action and accellerations..

s