PDA

View Full Version : QTVR Hell

sadkkf
01-25-2004, 05:19 PM
Has anyone created an object QTVR with LightWave? I've downloaded the sample scenes from the tutorials page, but when rendering them (with the QTVR codec), LW crashes on the last frame.

I've tried a number of variables, but each one crashes. Rendering with any other codec it works fine.

My ultimate goal is to create a 3D rotating object file for a Flash movie. I understand Flash can't/doesn't use QTVR the way Director does, but can display a series of stills to simulate rotation.

Please help!

Thanks!

cresshead
01-25-2004, 06:30 PM
works fine for me..i used the tutorial file n just load up my objects into the scene and rendered out,,no problems...even cutting the render short so the cam didn't do underneath works okay...

are you running lightwave on mac or pc?

i use it on pc [intel]

claymation
01-25-2004, 09:23 PM
I do those all the time.
this is an example

http://www.byjason.com/gallery/dominique-010a.mov

It is just a 360 rotation with no height

Basicly the setting I used a number of frames divisable by 360 so 24, 36, 48, 60 etc

Then in the QTVR i set it to the same number of frames. for tilt I set it to one and min/max to 0 degrees.

If you want to have tilt then the number of frames goes up by the number of rows that you will need for the tilt.

I set the compression options to sorenson 3, you can use something different. For flash though you may want to use sorenson 3.

If you are still getting these errors try reinstalling QT. my system crashed and I had qt crash on me when doing regular movies so that could also be an issue.

Flash does not accept QTVR. I would try to work out a layout that would leave the movie open to be loaded in a sperate frame.

For inside Flash render out frames bring them into flash and setup a script that does the same thing as the QTVR. you can find help for this at www.actionscript.org

Hope that helps. Give more info or the scene file (don't need models) so I can see if problems with a setting.

Jay

sadkkf
01-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Hi...thanks for the replies.

My PC is running LW on a dual AMD machine with Wink 2K pro. I hadn't thought about reinstalling QT, I'll give that a try and see what happens.

The scenes I've been using are the ones from the tutorial site. When those didn't work for me, I tried one of my own, but that crashed, too.

I'm familiar with Flash not using QTVR (bummer!), so I do have frames rendered separately, but it's easier to import a movie into Flash and have one item to work with instead of several frames. Ultimately, I'll have 4 objects X 30 frames or so.

I'll try your settings, claymation, and see what happens. Hopefully reinstalling QT will help.

Thanks for the suggestions!

sadkkf
01-26-2004, 07:58 AM
Updating QT did the trick! Thanks!

I feel stupid for not trying this sooner.:rolleyes:

jds580s
01-26-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm very glad you posted your issue here, because I wasn't even aware that LW could render out a QTVR object movie. I was asked to do this a week or two ago, and was looking at 3rd party solutions to assemble my frames into the final QTVR.

You just made my day!

Piece of cake!
My example (http://www.onthez.com/temphosting/swingset_320x240.mov)

Justin

sadkkf
01-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Justin--

I'm glad you discovered this before buying something!

I like your example - it's pretty slick!

:sadkkf

Matt
01-26-2004, 01:59 PM
sadkkf, here's another good tutorial should you need it:

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=521

BTW: Love your avatar! Dogs ears crack me up, they're just so daft looking! :D

sadkkf
01-27-2004, 07:25 AM
Hi, Matt--

Thanks for the link. I'm awaiting the email to confirm my account with them and will check out the tutorial when I'm an official member.

Love your avatar!

Thanks! She is a very shy dog so is often sitting away from people with those ears at full attention. :)