PDA

View Full Version : LW 7.5 crashes when trying to load object made in 7.5b

Elowan
03-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Give me a break people! No backward compatibility between sub-numbered software iterations!? Woohoo! I'm impressed!!! Not! First I'm having problems getting scripts to load and now this!

Mother-of-Pearl!!!:mad:

Freak
03-10-2003, 11:19 PM
I don't have this problem....

It must be just you! :)
There have been no changes to the LWO2 file format...

Maybe your just an idiot?
Yep that's my guess!

Try removing any shaders or Lscripts.....

Elowan
03-10-2003, 11:43 PM
Originally posted by Freak
I don't have this problem....

It must be just you! :)
There have been no changes to the LWO2 file format...

Maybe your just an idiot?
Yep that's my guess!

Try removing any shaders or Lscripts.....

You don't have this problem so I'm an idiot? Nice. Everyone has an ******* - looks like yours took over.

hrgiger
03-11-2003, 12:44 AM
Well, Freak may have overstated what he was trying to say but I think the gist of it was, you should check in with other users before you automatically assume it's a Lightwave problem. Has anyone else had this problem yet?

Freak
03-11-2003, 05:21 AM
Thanks HR Giger, yes i'm being a little harsh today....
I'm sick of people just assuming , because something does not work, it's 7.5b's fault....

I'm sure 7.5b will introduce some problems, when you fix one bug, you usually create another three. This is typical of programming anything. (especially a complex 3D program)

But it's almost like people don't even try....
Oh, function X failes...... It's a bug in 7.5b...

Oh i'm crap at modeling, it's 75bs fault.....
Where's my, "make not suck button", it was there before 7.5b....
etc, etc....

Most of what i have read, have been user problems, and not REAL problems with 7.5b....

I'm aware of 2x Lscript bugs (i'm sure there will be a few more yet) And a couple of bugs with the Mac version of 7.5b.
Everything else seems to be, hype, paranoia, stupidity.

There may also be a SurfMixer bug with procedurals & shaders..
I'm not saying that their is not more...... But yes maybe ask a question rather make rash statements of incomatibility.

My god it's free, it's a major pain pretend it didn't get released
and go back to 7.5.

Personally i'd never upgrade to Windows SPx without it being tested by the general public, and i'd never upgrade any software
that's getting used in a production environment, until it was safe and quiet enough to do so. But i also would not assume, just because something does not work on my machine, that everyone else has the same problem.

Skonk
03-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Im still using 7.5b cos i havn't had a single problem with it, and infact im very happy with it and considering its not even a point release (7 point x) the fact that new features were added to what is essentially a bug fixing path is amazing :)
As for your problem, the modeler .exe is the exact same build and date stamp as it is in 7.5 and saving .lwo files is (i think) one of the few things that is built into the exe rather than using a plugin to do it, so the file format couldn't of changed. As Freak said, check for any shaders or scripts associated with the object and remove them.

James..

mastermesh
03-11-2003, 08:14 AM
If you used plugins specific to 7.5b that were not there before the b came out, then it probably won't work...

Elowan
03-11-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Well, Freak may have overstated what he was trying to say but I think the gist of it was, you should check in with other users before you automatically assume it's a Lightwave problem. Has anyone else had this problem yet?

Yeah they have. But - in fairness - it may still be a problem with scripts and/or plugins.

The particular object that I saved had been made with no plugins other than those 'native' to LW - like BandSaw.

Likewise there were no shaders involved.

However - examining the error msg generated by WinXP Pro I see that it refers to napalm.p. That plug-in is in in my list of available plug-ins but was not used in making the object.

The entire object was/is corrupted in any event.

Freak was right in so far as I was an idiot for getting so angry but I had just lost 4 hours of work. All my incrementals were DOA as well.

I think using words like 'idiot' etc to someone whom you don't know is that height of rudeness and entirely uncalled for. That kind of attitude is going to get that person into serious trouble some day and that attitude speaks to a form of arrogance intolerable in my book.

'nuff said and moving right along ... I appreciate your response.

Elowan
03-11-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by SpankDaddy
Im still using 7.5b cos i havn't had a single problem with it, and infact im very happy with it and considering its not even a point release (7 point x) the fact that new features were added to what is essentially a bug fixing path is amazing :)
As for your problem, the modeler .exe is the exact same build and date stamp as it is in 7.5 and saving .lwo files is (i think) one of the few things that is built into the exe rather than using a plugin to do it, so the file format couldn't of changed. As Freak said, check for any shaders or scripts associated with the object and remove them.

James..

Thanks for your reply. See also my reply above this. There were/are no shaders and/or plugins associated with the object. It's DOA in any event. It won't even load into 7.5b now - nor will any of the incrementals.

mattclary
03-11-2003, 09:46 AM
Have you tried reverting to 7.5 and saving it again? Perhaps export it out as a LW 5 or DXF object?

Elowan
03-11-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by mattclary
Have you tried reverting to 7.5 and saving it again? Perhaps export it out as a LW 5 or DXF object?

As I said - it's totally waxed. Won't even load into 7.5b. I'm going to have a look at the header with a hex editor and see if I can't get it to load.

mattclary
03-11-2003, 10:09 AM
No, I said revert to 7.5 (no B).

If you have to, reload 7.5 (or 7) from disk. If the data is important, this sounds like your only hope of rescue.

hrgiger
03-11-2003, 11:38 AM
Yes, idiot I think in this case was a little strong of a word to use. I mean, I can understand Freak getting annoyed because I see questions all the time that frustrate the heck out of me (like people who don't seem to want to read their manual, grrrrr:mad: ), but I think Freak should also realize that it can be frustrating for others to have the kind of problem that you are having, especially when you put a lot of work into something, and then have it get corrupted for some reason you can't see.