PDA

View Full Version : Scale down surfaces with models?

Johnny
01-25-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm in a spot where I've just realized that the scene I'm modeling is too large; ought to be about 9 feet square, and the model is now more like 90 feet square!

Is there a way that I can scale down my model and have all of its surfaces' scale down correspondingly?

On another piece, I scaled down, but noticed the surfaces remained at their old scale...the surfaces in this model are more complex, and I'd hate to have to guesstimate or fiddle to try to re-trace my steps in creating them.

thanks!

J

mkiii
01-25-2004, 04:25 PM
If you are in modeler - this is normal behaviour for non UV mapped surfaces. The quickest way to get around it is to keep the object the scale it is now in modeler & use Layout to scale the object. Or you could try UV mapping the object.

If you are already in Layout....

In the Texture Editor panel, look for the Reference Object dropdown.

If you reference either your object, or a null here, then scale that object, the texture scales with it.

Obviously, the effect on Procedurals will not show up until render time.

You will still have to manually resize any gradient parameters that rely on size or distance, and you will need to select the reference object for every layer of every surface that needs scaling.

Normally mapped & UV mapped objects don't have this problem unless you have selected 'World Coordinates' - If you have, and don't know why - turn them off.

The bottom line is that you need to plan things out before you start. Try & make things the correct size before you texture them.

Matt
01-25-2004, 04:45 PM
For scaling in layout . . .

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.CFM?ID=1929

mkiii
01-25-2004, 05:15 PM
Dammit... I knew I should have looked at Flay before opening my big mouth ;)

I just can't keep up with all these plugins.