PDA

View Full Version : Unweld UV Points / Better UV Tools

Adrian Lopez
03-10-2003, 11:00 PM
I've started experimenting with Lightwave's UV tools, and I'm finding out that I don't like them. I hate that I have to unweld the model to introduce or modify discontinuous UV values. I hate that rewelding the model messes up UV relationships even if nothing else is done to the model or its UV values.

I'd like the ability to weld and unweld points in the UV map without affecting the welding of the model's actual vertices. I'd like to select a bunch of polygons, add these to the UV map with MakeUVs and have these come up as group whose UV values are continuous within the group, but discontinuous relative to polygons not in the group of selected polygons.

I'd also like to select arbitrary planes when doing planar mapping, as opposed to the current X, Y, Z deal.

Emmanuel
03-11-2003, 04:54 AM
Also, I would apperciate an UV-Version of the Deform/Smooth tool,
to relax the UVs faster and better.
I remember UVs beeing less problematic in 6.5b when it came to unweld.
Now it seems like the UVs are problematic if not the whole mesh is UVd but only patrs of it.So You need to "clear UV map" from parts You don't want UVd, otherwhise You get a lot of polygon stretching in the UV-window.

Sam_Horton
03-11-2003, 08:47 AM
I totally agree with you man! UV's could use some repair.

labuzz
03-11-2003, 09:43 AM
One more thing about projection system: don't forget you can use a ref object to use another coord system for projection. But, We really need the way to look thrue this ref object with an orthographic camera, and a good gyzmo would be welcome for aspect ratio and precise placement ( look at max or RAT->MTOR coord system). We also need a placement node for tile...And the way to animate easely all this parameters...

For UV View look at Maya with bonus game pack ( custom grid and image range, toggles for images, thicker UV border edges, MultiUV/vrtx, a good relax,...).

Plz Newtek no more Linearly interpolated UV...We dont need distortion ( I dont play guitar with Lightwave...)

Emmanuel
03-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Just one thing in defense of LW:

it seems neither XSI nor Maya have really better UV-relaxing possibilities.
I just read that unwrapping UVs (except for ATLAS-type) is still pretty boring and time consuming on any software, not only LW.

Bor
03-14-2003, 05:43 AM
I agree with Adrian Lopez.
I would also like to be able to select/specify uv seams on my objects before i create my uv maps, without unwelding points.

-Bor

Lamont
03-14-2003, 01:36 PM
There is a tool called UV guide that will let you create your own plane/sphere/cylynder for UV projectsions.