PDA

View Full Version : Why does image-map get distorted when I move object?

White Knight
01-25-2004, 04:31 AM
Hey fellows! In layout I have a problem of mapping the head of a cartoon-character of mine:

I have a sphere on which I have a spherical Image-map (her face).
When I move the sphere the image-map gets distorted.

Why is this and how do I remedy this?

/White Knight.

mkiii
01-25-2004, 05:22 AM
Open up the Texture Editor panel & make sure you *dont* have World Coordinates selected.

If you use UV mapping, this is not a problem.

White Knight
01-25-2004, 01:19 PM
Hmm...
...but I don't use World cordinates on that texture!

Shouldn't it work somehow without using UV's? ....Anyone?!

mkiii
01-25-2004, 04:54 PM
This normally happens in Modeler, but you say you are in layout.

Just in case......
Unless you UV map something in modeler it uses World Coordinates whether you have selected them in the Texture Panel or Not.

If you *are* in modeler, send the object into Layout & you'll see that it sticks to the object as you'd expect when you move it around in there (unless you have those pesky world coordinates selected in the texture editor).

Does it still mess up when you try rendering it?

Sometimes the OpenGL mapping on spherical objects goes a little screwy around the seam of the bitmap - when you render, the mapping should be fine.

White Knight
01-26-2004, 02:13 AM
I was in fact in layout but I've found what causes the imagemap to distort:

If I have "Head" (my sphereical head-object) selected as a 'Reference-object' in the Texture-editor, then for some reason the imagemap distorts while moving the head.
However, if I select 'None' under 'Reference-object' it stops distorting.

I don't know if this is a bug or the way it should be...

Anyway, loads of thanx for backing me up fellow!
I really appreciate it!

/White Knight.

mkiii
01-26-2004, 06:29 AM
NP.

Now you come to mention it, I have had the same problem in the past when trying to cylindrically map a face onto a head - if the unwrap was even a tiny bit out - or the head was just a little out of place, the whole thing goes screwy.

Since I have been using UV mapping for most objects, that sort of problem has not re-appeared (just a whole new set) ;)