PDA

View Full Version : In need of some talented CG folk...

pasghetti
03-10-2003, 06:02 PM
Howdy, LightWavers. I'm in the middle of production on an indie film I've been working on for the past year or so and I need some help...

(and by the way, I posted this same request on the LW newsgroup, so sorry if you're seeing it twice!)

The movie is called "monstrosity" and it's a highly original, dark comedy variation on the Frankenstein story. Kind of a bizarre Tim-Burton-in-Mayberry vibe...equal parts "High Fidelity" and "Bride of Frankenstein". Running time should be around 45 minutes and I'm planning on entering it in all the major film festivals (watch out, Sundance). I've shot about 85% of principal photography, most of what I have has already been edited, and the CG is coming along nicely - except that there's just too darn much 3D for me to do by myself in a reasonable amount of time (looks like there will be around 120 CG shots, total).

First of all, I'll give you the standard indie-film caveat up front: it's a fairly low budget production and the only $ that's gone into it has been out of my own pocket...so I can't offer big bucks and volunteer assistance is highly preferred.

(This is probably where the pro's in the forum have already stopped reading and have gone on to the next thread...) ;-)

...but for those who are still reading and still interested, here's the scoop: I'm looking for like-minded people who want to be involved in a clever and original independant film who have some pretty good CG chops already and are looking for experience, demo reel material, etc. Also, I'm hoping to establish relationships with fellow CG artists for any future productions I'm involved in, so hopefully, this won't be a one-night-stand gig.

My number one objective here is to collaborate with talented up-and-coming artists on a high quality, enjoyable product that I (humbly) feel is the most exciting, original, and hilarious story I've come across in a long time. I want everyone involved in this project to look back on their involvement as an enjoyable, productive, and challenging experience. And I'll guarantee you at least one copy of the dvd (for your viewing pleasure), some great shots for your demo reel, and your work (and your name in the credits) prominently displayed on large and small screens viewed by many, many people all over the world. No promises on fame, fortune, or the adoring love of nubile, sylph-like maidens, though...

At the very least, I'm looking for one or more people to model and texture one of the digital sets - the doctor's laboratory. I've shot all the actor's performances against greenscreen and I'll be comping them into this digital set. I'll probably need to do the lighting and rendering since I'll be compositing everything together.

I have tons of reference photos for what I want the room to look like. The look I'm going for is 1940's gritty, grungy industrial...a spooky and expansive cathedral of a laboratory where dark and arcane experiments are performed...and also, tires are rotated, engines are overhauled, and carbuerators are replaced. Photoreal yet slightly stylized in form. In other words, within reason, you can have some fun with the look...

And if stylized-yet-photoreal architectural-type modelling/texturing isn't your bag, I have some other equally interesting shots I could farm out to a few artists. Mostly stuff that I am planning on doing myself unless someone else wants to jump in and is able to do a better job. And I don't mean to make it sound like grunt work...there are actually quite a few fun and unique shots to wrangle.

If you're interested and would like some further info, don't hesitate to drop me a line. I can send you some frame captures, raw footage, reference photos, maybe a copy of the script to tantalize you into jumping in and helping out. I would like to see some examples of your work, of course, to make sure your style fits in with the established vibe of the project.

Thanks for your interest! I hope to hear from some talented up-and-comers and maybe even some old pros looking for a fun project...

cheers,

don dempsey
([email protected])

Chris S. (Fez)
03-11-2003, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a lot of green screen. What did you shoot with? Not mini DV, I hope...? If you are using HD or 35mm, what packages are you editing and compositing with?

pasghetti
03-11-2003, 04:44 PM
Yup, miniDV - the poor film-makers friend. XL-1, to be specific. I haven't found it to be terrible for pulling mattes from greenscreen...although I *have* had to rotospline sections for a few mattes...and that is, of course, sloooow and tedious. Mostly, I've been using Ben Syverson's dvMatte plugin (for afx) and it only requires minimal tweakage...

I'm editing on a WinXP box with Adobe Premiere and (currently) comping with After Effects...although I'm hoping to pick up a Combustion license pretty soon. I got pretty hooked on the demo. :-D

don