PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Issues

mcaa666
01-24-2004, 07:53 PM
Hi everybody,
Since i am fairly new to modeling in Lightwave I have the following question.
I am modelling a car (Nissan 350 Z) using spline patching.
In the picture i've added you can see three corners marked red.
In order to make these corners sharp in sub-patch mode i need to bandsaw them.
But how do i do that without getting creases over the entire rear section of the car?
Please help, i'm getting desperate over here!
If you want i can send you the model.
:mad: :confused: :(

mattbolton
01-25-2004, 12:08 AM
You might be able to accomplish what you want by using the Sub-Patch weight map and trying values around 50% or higher for those points and the ones behind them, and then you wouldn't need to bandsaw.

Lewis
01-25-2004, 09:27 AM
Hi !

matt's idea is good and works fine with "normal" modeling but won't work/look well on this particular subject :). Acctualy i don't find is useful for car modeling almost never :(. Problem is that right now car tailight have nice semi-sharp but rounded edge and if you weight that corner point to get more pointy corner (instead round corner) you'll mixup whole ede and it would be too sharp on that corner :(. That's why we need EDGE weighting in LW insted just point weighting :).

But solution is easy. Just Bandsaw (or cut with knife) only 2-3 polygons and not entire row. How to control bandsaw lenght ? Easy just hide polygon on bumper where you want bandsawing to stop. After bandsw you'll need to weld one point to get tringle and unhide hided polygon after.

mcaa666 - ALL that is showed and EXPAINED in my tutorial when i bandsaw edges of wheel arches on my Mustang. You need to read it more carefully :). That's the ONE of reasons why i always recommend to first TRY exact car like in tutorial and then when you learn all you are ready to go on your own way. Thats reason you will contantly "hiting walls" when you have different shape of car that i used. Mustan have round and sahpr corners so it's good choce to see all things at work.

mcaa666
01-25-2004, 10:15 AM
thnx lewis
i will look into your mustang tutorial again and see what i can do about it.

DONGLE THIS!
01-25-2004, 10:43 AM
Hi mattbolton

I was checking your site, and I was really impress with your glass setting that glows at the bottom!

any way you can send me the setting on how you did that:)

or a LW scene file would be great.

thanks

mattbolton
01-25-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by DONGLE THIS!
Hi mattbolton

I was checking your site, and I was really impress with your glass setting that glows at the bottom!

any way you can send me the setting on how you did that:)

or a LW scene file would be great.

thanks

Sure thing, I think I still have that scene/object on my computer at work. I'll check Monday. I was testing the Coffee shader plugin; you might search the forums and see if you can find a link, I believe the plugin author posted an update somewhere around here.

DONGLE THIS!
01-26-2004, 12:13 AM
thanks, please do

mattbolton
01-26-2004, 08:20 AM
LOL.. sorry to continue this thread off-topic, but here are some links for you, DONGLE.
Coffee shader update by the author. (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=116434#post116434) Scroll down to the post by "Anttij77."

Coffee shader website (http://koti.mbnet.fi/anttij77/Plugins/Sininenplaneetta_Plugins_Coffee.htm)

The Zip file containing the objects, scene, and other resources should be attached to this thread. You will need the free Coffee shader plugin to get the same color change effect on the glass. HTH