PDA

View Full Version : What's in a name?

ted
01-24-2004, 01:38 PM
Is it time for NewTek to get an identity for their VT XXX?
More and more I'm having trouble telling people what we use for Production.
It's not a Toaster, it's not a VT2, soon it won't be a VT3.
I'm honestly not sure what to tell people. Right now I'm just calling it a VT.
I hope NewTek will soon get a name they can stick with.

Avid, FCP, etc. have a name that has gained recognition over time. And it takes a long track record to gain confidence and name recognition.

Maybe NewTek can find a name they like and make it stick for the long haul. Even if they call it TekForce, NewAge or NewTek, I'd love to have a name for my beloved production system. I'd be willing to go back to Toaster instead of calling it something different with every revision.

What do the rest of you think? NewTek?

Turner
01-24-2004, 05:11 PM
No matter what they call it, if it's new, whomever you're telling won't know what it is anyway.

Maybe if your clients are more worried about your tools than your results there's a problem that isn't being addressed?

Originally posted by ted
Is it time for NewTek to get an identity for their VT XXX?
More and more I'm having trouble telling people what we use for Production.
It's not a Toaster, it's not a VT2, soon it won't be a VT3.
I'm honestly not sure what to tell people. Right now I'm just calling it a VT.
I hope NewTek will soon get a name they can stick with.

Avid, FCP, etc. have a name that has gained recognition over time. And it takes a long track record to gain confidence and name recognition.

Maybe NewTek can find a name they like and make it stick for the long haul. Even if they call it TekForce, NewAge or NewTek, I'd love to have a name for my beloved production system. I'd be willing to go back to Toaster instead of calling it something different with every revision.

What do the rest of you think? NewTek?

ted
01-24-2004, 11:04 PM
That's my point. I hope VT's name isn't new every year.
Ya gotta start "Branding" a product at Zero. But starting at Zero every year keeps you at Zero.

I totally agree with you that WHAT you do IS more important then which tool you use to get there.
Almost all my clients are repeat, so I'm not struggling with this as much as some people.
My clients are very content with the ToasterNT/VT2/VT3...;)

However, I'd love to have a constant name for my system that people have heard of. It would also keep me from updating my Website!:p

I guess the upside is that my clients think I'm always buying a new system!:)

Turner
01-25-2004, 05:26 AM
"I guess the upside is that my clients think I'm always buying a new system!"

Well, then they just think they're paying you too much! :)

Clients, huh?

(Either way, I'm jealous... always wanted one of those things, whatever they're called)

Cheers
Andrew

ted
01-25-2004, 10:31 PM
Shhh! Don't give my clients any ideas!;)