PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8 upgrade w/o dfx etc.?

Fardak
01-24-2004, 11:53 AM
Hi,
I was just wondering, do any of you know how much the upgrade will cost after this whole DFX thing finishes cause I have no need of DFX and I would rather pay less and get just the upgrade. I haven't seen anyone offering just the upgrade, but obviously if you know where I can find it just give me a heads up.

Thanx in advance,
Fardak

KillMe
01-24-2004, 12:03 PM
as far as i know the dfx+ is jsut a free bonus and the upgrade will cost the same after 8 is released - might not have need of it but its free so may aswell take it

hrgiger
01-24-2004, 12:13 PM
Yup, same as it is without DFX. $495 + shipping. That's why you should take advantage of the DFX offer.

pauland
01-24-2004, 12:55 PM
One thing to consider: Once LW8 is released and the DFX+ offer is gone, LW8 upgrades will include a printed manual. The prerelease does not include a printed manual.

Paul

mkiii
01-24-2004, 04:41 PM
You could opt for the offer + 5 training DVDs instead of DFX. It still works out at good value, *and*, you can sell them if you don't need them. Unlike DFX, which is tied to your dongle afaik.

I don't know where your local supplier is, but I'm in the UK & use Onevideo

Fardak
01-24-2004, 05:39 PM
BH

Thanks all for the responses. I figured it would be the same price. Oh, well.

@mkiii I am originally from the States and I got my copy from a place called dv411. They were having a sale at the time - just when 7.5 came out. Can I buy the upgrade and download it or will I have to find a local supplier? I know I sound like those little kids who need the newest version of everything that comes out, but I am going to need the upgrade later on anyway because alot of the new tools will be invaluable when I start actually working on all the projects I have in mind, so I figure it makes sense to take advantage of any sales as well as get a headstart on learning the features. I haven't seen a training dvd package, it sounds alot better to me/for me. If you could just point me in the right direction....

On a more general note I love this community and if any of you folks in the same time zone as me (Frankfurt Germany) or one close enough, my AIM is KavHQ and I would love to chat. IMHO it's one of the best ways to learn - wrestling over problems with fellow "wavers" in chat.

Thanx all,
Fardak

hrgiger
01-24-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by pauland
One thing to consider: Once LW8 is released and the DFX+ offer is gone, LW8 upgrades will include a printed manual. The prerelease does not include a printed manual.

Are you sure about that? Not doubting you necessarily, but I though it would be $100 for the manual, CD, and Box for everyone pre-release and post-release...?

mkiii
01-25-2004, 05:49 AM
Fardak:

I'd imagine that your best bet is to goto Newtek Europes site (maybe email them too) and look at your local re-sellers list. There are quite a few in Gemany. I'm sure they are offering the same deal as everyone else.

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/purchase/resellers.html

Onevideo in the UK will ship to the EU, and seem to have the full range of offers open - although they change from time to time. The current no-dfx offer seems to be a cheaper offer with 3xParticle & volumetric fx tutorial CDs instead.

http://www.oneanimation.net/info.asp?product=1245

Hiraghm
01-25-2004, 12:12 PM
Hey, Fardak... where's Postville? I used to live in Iowa

pauland
01-25-2004, 12:19 PM
Originally posted by hrgiger
Are you sure about that? Not doubting you necessarily, but I though it would be $100 for the manual, CD, and Box for everyone pre-release and post-release...?

I'm fairly certain that the non-inclusion of manuals in the upgrade is a pre-release thing. I'd assumed it was a way of reducing cost to offset the DFX+ deal. Maybe someone can clarify?

Paul

Fardak
01-25-2004, 12:47 PM
@hiraghm Yup, good ol' Postville Iowa - Northeast corner of the state about a hlf an hour from both Illinois and Minnesota. BTW I am in Frankfurt Germany for the year.
Nice to find another Iowan on here!!
Ride the Wave,
Fardak

Dooby
01-27-2004, 04:07 PM
yea OneVideo www.oneanimation.netare a good bet ive been buying from them 4 years now and always give great personal service.

I went 4 the 7.5 DFX upg 2 - I see it as a killer deal, yea loose out on teh manuals but DFX is a tuly awsome bit of kit ;)

Dylan ;)