PDA

View Full Version : Expressions don't work with screamernet?

NigelH
01-24-2004, 08:57 AM
I did a short test animation of a character with lots of expressions and morph links driving the joints.

it renders fine out of Lightwave on a single machine, but using screamernet over 3 machines, the expressions are completely ignored. Is this common? A known bug with screamernet, or just some quirk with the way it reacts to my particular configuration? Anyone had any success with expressions over screamernet?

Is motion baking every animated parameter my only option for network rendering?

Axis3d
01-24-2004, 09:47 AM
Are you sure all of your plugins are added correctly? Perhaps the screamernet machines are not seeing the correct path of the plugins.

NigelH
01-24-2004, 11:44 AM
As far as I can tell, yes, the plugs are in the correct location. As I said, on a single machine, everything renders correctly out of Lightwave, but use screamernet and the expressions are ignored by all the machines - including the machine that renders fine on its own (using F10).

Which plug-ins would affect screamernet's ability to apply expressions, do you think?

Axis3d
01-24-2004, 06:11 PM
This still sounds like a network path problem to me. There are a couple of plugins in the Lightwave > Plugins > Animate folder called chanexpress.p and express.p. When you added your plugins, was your content directory path set to the network path pointing to the Lightwave directory? For instance, on my machine I have a C:/ Lightwave directory. But I also have my Lightwave directory shared as Z:/ Lightwave on my computer. When I work in Lightwave, my content directory is set to Z:/ Lightwave. When I add plugins, they get written to the lwext3.cfg file with the path starting with Z:/. When screamernet renders, it looks for these plugins in the Z:/ directories. If your plugins were added and have a path of C:/, then your render machines are looking to their own C:/ directories for these plugins, which are not there.

To check this, open your lwext3.cfg file. In Windows XP, it is in the Documents and Settings folder under your user name. Open the file with Notepad or Word. Look to see if your plugins start with the path C:/ , or a different drive letter which you are using. If it is showing C:/ then you need to change these and resave the .cfg file so that your render nodes will find the plugins.

I'm assuming that your render machines are able to find the objects and images correctly.

NigelH
01-24-2004, 07:27 PM
I understand what you're saying, but like I said, the plugins are in the correct places and the paths in the preference file are correct.

Though I'm using MacOSX, most of what you said still applies and checks out. The screamernet 'cmdline' files list the correct path to the extensions preferences file. Since each machine's startup drive has a unique name, "Alexander" for the host machine, and the host drive is mounted on the desktops of the render nodes, the path to the preference file is unique and specific.
"Alexander:Users:nigelhen:Library:Preferences" in this case. The extensions preferences file, in turn, lists the correct path to the Plugins and LScripts folders "Alexander:Applications:LightWave 3D 7.5:Plugins:Animate:ChanExpress.p", for example. I don't seem to have a simple "express.p" plugin, but lightWave seems to function just fine without it, so I don't know if that's an issue.

There are several other plugins in the same folder that are used that screamernet has no problem finding and using. Yes, along with the object and image files - though they are in a completely separate location. Screamernet just seems to have chosen to ignore the expressions, though it likes the 'Channel follower' plugin just fine. Very picky.

But if all this is to say that no one else has come across this problem, I guess it's not a bug, which is a good thing and I'll have to dig deeper. Thanks for the advice.

3dgirl
01-25-2004, 10:56 PM
well I'm having that exact same problem with particle FX and hypervoxels. after reading this post i realised that my plugins weren't in my mirrored drive directory (though i still never seemed to have a problem with screamernet and any other plugin) but even when i moved all my plugins to be where all the computers could see them nothing changed!!