PDA

View Full Version : We need A HD Toaster

Ian Austen
01-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Take a peek at this thread in DV info Net. A wish for David Neuman (http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?threadid=20124)

To stay alive NewTek needs to be there by VT 5.

ted
01-24-2004, 01:23 PM
While I don't think NewTek will dry up and die without HD tomorrow, I think your assessment of VT5 would be about as close as possible.
I can probably hold off another year, but before you know it, we're going to have people asking us for HD production.
While losing the first couple HD jobs won't kill me, if I keep sending those clients away, it would take a toll, long term.
Iím sure NewTek has something up there sleeve. Maybe by NAB 05?

johnq
01-25-2004, 10:45 AM
There is 10bit HD coming soon to the PC for under $2000 for the hardware http://www.decklink.com/productsdeckhd.asp

Premiere Pro and After Effects 6 already support the various HD formats, they just need the hardware/drivers. I expect Blackmagic to have the Windows drivers by NAB 04. Maybe not real-time, but if you do much compositing in your work, all systems will need to render...

John

videoguy
01-25-2004, 11:20 AM
remember currently the toaster card is 8bit YUV sd so if they could come out with a new 10 bit HD card that means they would have to rewrite the underlying engine of the toaster which of course takes lots of time to do and do it right. i am sure they will do it but it will take time and i am personally willing to wait

kleima
01-31-2004, 08:55 PM
That is one HOT card!!! Read what all it can do!!!
They already have Windows XP drivers, BTW. Now, if only they would make W2K drivers!

I wonder if someone could make a "codec" for it to work with the VT[3]??

Original1
02-09-2004, 03:29 AM
Whats even better is it works with a MAC as well as a PC

ScorpioProd
02-09-2004, 12:39 PM
I always believe in not reinventing the wheel if it isn't necessary.

Just as Newtek made the hardware and In-Sync made the software for VT[1], I see no reason that Newtek couldn't bundle their software with an HD card from someone else in the future.

I mean after all, Newtek is much more a software company than a hardware company, so they should play to their strengths.

videoguy
02-10-2004, 07:24 AM
i disagree one of newteks strong points is that they make both the hardware and software and have aboslute control over it. also what other company offers a lifetime warranty on their hardware . i have heard stories of guys sending in digiview cards and newtek has fixed them. i myself have sent in flyer cards at least twice in the past few years