PDA

View Full Version : Keyframe and Maya?

TSpyrison
01-23-2004, 05:31 PM
I had been a subcriber to keyframe.. even back when it was "lightwavin" magazine..

I happened to let my subscription run out, not on purpose.. I just forgot.

Well, I re-subscribed, and got my first new issue today..

Opened it up, and read a 2 page article on Maya..

I remember keyframe as a mostly Lightwave magazine..
(I mean, I expect plugin reviews, photoshop, DFX techniques..)

Granted it was only 2 pages...
But Maya?

:confused:

Steve McRae
01-23-2004, 05:34 PM
was it a good article?? :)

KOlson
01-23-2004, 05:52 PM
THought it was kinda strange myself

js33
01-23-2004, 06:45 PM
Well the publishers of Keyframe (DMG) also publish Highend Magazine. Maybe they are trying to whet your appetite for Maya and get you to sub to Highend as well. :D

Or they are pushing Maya as a dynamics plugin for Lightwave. :D

Cheers,
JS

TSpyrison
01-23-2004, 07:46 PM
Originally posted by atomman
was it a good article?? :)

I donno..
Didn't read it :)

Was kinda hoping those pages would have a lightwave tip or someting...

cresshead
01-23-2004, 08:20 PM
when publishers are thin on the ground with stories they often borrow from their sister mags to pulp up an issue..this used to happen with cgi mag and design 4 quite a bit....

like you say..maya????..wel at least it wasn't max!....bleeeeh!

js33
01-24-2004, 09:53 AM
I just read my copy of Keyframe this morning. Yeah the whole magazine. The only article worth reading was the one by Leigh Van der Byl on facial texturing. Well the LW8 preview by Dan Ablan was Ok but nothing we haven't seen and talked to death on here already. When I think about past LW magazines like LWPro that had very good and useful tutorials Keyframe actually seems pretty bad. Well Deuce's tuts are pretty good but he wasn't in the mag this month due to heavy LW8 beta testing. But there just isn't anything else of any substance in Keyframe to warrant their $10.95 US cover price.

Good thing I get it for free since I ordered LW 8 upgrade from them.

If you just want LW tuts and info there is much more, better and useful info on the web for free.

I think magazines like this, not just keyframe, but all magazines about the content creation industry will eventually go away.

I like to find out what is going on today not read about what happened 3 months ago in print.

The only valid reason a magazine like Keyframe has for existing is providing info that can't be found online and right now they aren't doing that.

Dan, You remember LightwavePRO don't you? I think it would be wise to try to steer Keyframe in that direction.

Cheers,
JS

TSpyrison
01-24-2004, 12:48 PM
I used to get lightwave pro..
I think i might even have a couple of issues of "breadbox" in storage somewhere...

siproductions
01-24-2004, 12:52 PM
Yeah I got it too. I think it was trying to prove that they are unbiased. Any way I have to say that I would probably not get the mag if I had not gotten it free with LW8. I will say that the texture tutorial was good. Great job Leigh!!!

Also js33 what was LightwavePRO like? I wasn't a LWer then.

WizCraker
01-24-2004, 05:48 PM
For a Mag that is focused on Lightwave they can only publish so much content on a program release that is 2 1/2 years old. It seems like everything has already been reported in some way or another. If they put articles in a issue that has already been covered then the person who purchased it wasted money on useless information.

TSpyrison
01-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by WizCraker
For a Mag that is focused on Lightwave they can only publish so much content on a program release that is 2 1/2 years old. It seems like everything has already been reported in some way or another. If they put articles in a issue that has already been covered then the person who purchased it wasted money on useless information.

Yea, but for me, an article on Maya is useless information..
Im assuming there are other magazines for Maya..

WizCraker
01-24-2004, 06:38 PM
I guess another way to put it is that yes Keyframe got its roots from publishing on Lightwave in the past but times change if you notice on how they explain the mag on their website.

Ripped from KeyframeMag.com
Keyframe Magazine gives insight into the 3D, CG and VFX world with project reviews, articles, tutorials, tips and tricks. 3D animation and visual effects are showing up in our daily lives in advertising, web sites, photography, architecture, medicine, training, and games. Find out how they’re doing it!

I don't see Lightwave mentioned in their anywhere. They must have moved from a single minded magazine to a resource for many.

js33
01-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by siproductions
Yeah I got it too. I think it was trying to prove that they are unbiased. Any way I have to say that I would probably not get the mag if I had not gotten it free with LW8. I will say that the texture tutorial was good. Great job Leigh!!!

Also js33 what was LightwavePRO like? I wasn't a LWer then.

John Gross of Eden FX used to be the editor.
I think it was spun off as it's own magazine after it got too big for the Toaster User magazine. Well LWPro was a small magazine but it was jam packed with good tutorials in every issue. I have quite a collection of them. If you added up all the tutorials or useful info in this months Keyframe it would equal about 4 pages of a LWPro issue.

Actually Dan Ablan used to write articles and maybe tutorials for LWPRO so he knows what it was like. Dan steer Keyframe to be what LWPRO was and you will have so many subscribers you won't know what to do with them all.

This info may be too old now but.
Book by LWPRO authors (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0879304553/ref=ase_animationartistm/103-4470393-6665455?v=glance&s=books)

Cheers,
JS

siproductions
01-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Thanks for that info js33. I appreciate it.

Sounds like what I'm looking for. That's what I miss in the mag. now is just some good tutorials. The Texture tutorial was great, I just wish that there were more like it in the magazine.