PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave name?

erich
01-23-2004, 11:24 AM
Just curious. How did the inventors of lightwave come up with the name "Lightwave" I have always wondered what the idea was behind the name. When I first heard about it, several years ago, it seemed to me to be a rather unusal name.

Matt
01-23-2004, 11:33 AM
My guess - LightWave is a raytracer, it calculates the path of light rays, LightRay, hmm, nope, LightRays, nah, LightRave, already taken! What about LightWave, hmmm, yeah pretty good!

:)

KillMe
01-23-2004, 11:46 AM
light travels in waves dont forget =)

anyway way better name than 3ds max =)

Alan Daniels
01-23-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by KillMe
anyway way better name than 3ds max =)

He he, yeah. :D

First time (many moons ago) that I heard the name, I imagined it as being one of those early-90s type software names that just went on an on with the superlatives... "3D Studio Max Professional Gold Plus Server-Edition"...

cgolchert
01-23-2004, 12:16 PM
Once apon a time there was a contest announced to have people come up with a name for a 3d rendering program from NewTek. I don't know if they stuck with that name or went with an internal one. Last I heard on it "Lightwave" was from someone on the inside.

I'm still wondering which plugin was "named for the LW6.0 Betaforce person that reported the most bugs." :)

Nemoid
01-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I totally dunno why Lightwave have this name, but I like it ! :)

I think worst names are 3DStudio Max and Cinema 4D...:D